Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Anyone Used the TAP Cat and Downpipe? How big is the cat inlet/outlet

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2000, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone Used the TAP Cat and Downpipe? How big is the cat inlet/outlet
Old 12-05-2000, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Under NO circumstances would I do it again...

First, they told me it would bolt right up.

Second, they shipped me a TWO piece cat/downpipe with NO GASKET between the two pieces! When I called them, they said "that's the way we ship it." Unfortunately, the cat/downpipe is made in England and the casket is a metric size. My guy had to make one from scratch and he didn't do it for free - therefore the thing cost me $50 more than I paid originally.

Manufacturing quality...OUTSTANDING, I just wish it fit! Although it looks good, it hung too low (scraped every speed bump!) so my guy had to totally refabricate the downpipe (for $250).

Am I pissed? Yup! Will I ever buy from TAP again? Nope!

Mike O.
Old 12-05-2000, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default questions...

What size pipe is used?
Is the cat in the stock location?
Did it throw any DTCs from the second 02 sensor?
Where is the joint in the 2 piece assembly?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2000, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: questions...

The pipe after the cat is 2.5". Yes there is a flex pipe in the stock location. Yes the cat is in the stock location. No it doesn't throw any DTCs. The joint is in the same location.

As I said before, I wouldn't buy from TAP again. If I had to do it over again, I would have someone make a custom piece.

Mike O.
Old 12-05-2000, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I plan on making my own....

but need to source a cat. Personally I would prefer 3" pipe. Supposedly some set off DTCs. Any idea what brand cat came with the TAP kit?
Old 12-05-2000, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Had my own fabbed up.....

I'm using a SuperSprint bypass in place of the stock cat. It has a boss welded for the front O2 sensor.
I am using the big Random cat under the car (there is enough room) with a boss welded there for a rear O2 sensor (from a V6 as it has enough length of the wires to reach the connector on the fire wall).

All this was done to an original B&B riflow exhaust.
I also had to put a quiter resonator on to get rid of some cabin boom at 3000 rpm.

No DTC'c thrown whatsoever. Purrrrfect.

I did this on the recomendations of Anthony at Greedspeed, not particularly to get less restrictions (an added benefit) but to take heat away from the exhaust side of the turbo (I'm running a K04 Hybrid like Mike O).

Jeff Davison
Old 12-05-2000, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have you seen the cat that Turbo5 carries?

It is $840....but it looks really nice!

<i>Turbo5 High-flow Cat and down pipe is the highest quality Cat upgrade available. This system allows faster spool up and higher exhaust flow for more power. The stock cat has a flow-restrictive 2 inch exit pipe. The Turbo5 system uses a 3-inch pipe from the turbo to our 3.5 cat. Then we use 2.5-inch pipe to mate up to most aftermarket exhausts. The entire unit is constructed from stainless steel, Tig welded and polished. The Turbo5 high-flow cat will fit Ko3 and Ko4 turbos.</i>
Old 12-05-2000, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's waaaaaaaayyy too much.....

I could probably make one for less than $300.
Old 12-05-2000, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do you have the part number for...

the Random cat? How much did you pay for it?
What size is it?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2000, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Do you have the part number for...

I used the 9000 series.Forgot exactly what I paid as I had it installed in a "custom" fasion. About 3 hours @$45 plus the cat (I think $130? or close to that. Plus the cost of the new O2 sensor (130?). you probably could use the old secondary sensor and just splice some extra wire but I wanted to be sure of the correct fittment.

Jeff Davison

http://www.randomtechnology.com/converters_2.htm<ul><li><a href="http://www.randomtechnology.com">http://www.randomtechnology.com</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Anyone Used the TAP Cat and Downpipe? How big is the cat inlet/outlet