Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

APR Chip questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2000, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR Chip questions

When you put the chip in it disfunctions the governor, right? So, if this is true, then what is the top speed one could obtain with a chipped 1.8t? The speedomotor goes to 160, there must be a reason for this.
Old 12-15-2000, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default here is some info on top speed...

Personally I have hit 135 mph on my chipped 1.8T, and I stopped just because I started to feel a little uneasy. People have said that they hit 145mph on thier KO3 chipped but it takes a while to get there. I heard that a person with the APR stage 3 kit has hit 160mph but the car was well into the redline...dangerous stuff.
Old 12-16-2000, 05:48 AM
mny
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I do 240kph no problem.....

I do 240 to 245 kph no problem. I have the GS4st2 setup and run my A4 1.8T Quattro here inthe Philippines.
Old 12-16-2000, 01:20 PM

Default Het Scott ...

So are you going to install the Stage III yourself?
Old 12-17-2000, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I did 143 MPH in my K04'd 1.8T, felt like it would go faster...the car honestly doesn't have the

proper gearing for flat out 140~160 type driving I think you'd kill the engine pretty quickly after a few thousand miles of that kinda treatment.

BTW - With the K04 it didn't take very long to get up there...I was surprised how quickly the speed built.

Regards,

James R.

the gap and mess around with things like most people would like you to believe...it takes planning. Then afterwards you should probably take it to a qualified practitioner to have the thing fine tuned...they're pretty high maintenance IMHO cause eventually they'll fall out of adjustment with use. Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't just be better to leave it how it came when you got it...though I suppose the condition you'll receive yours in depends on how the guy who had it last modified it, they can be really difficult to put back to stock once they've been extensively modified.

This is yet another reason to get one factory fresh off the lot so to speak...then it's pretty much yours to do with as you please, that is if you have the money...cause invariably the acquisition price alone can cripple ones finances...then you want to do all sort of crazy stuff to it and it just starts to demand more and more of your income as a result.

Ohh and you don't even want to go into what it takes to modify the rear...some people will simply refuse to work on them...others are just dying to get in there and mess with stuff :-)

How much further you wanna go with this? :-)

Personally I don't think I'm going to play around with chips and K04's on this car...I have a feeling once my finances permit I'm going to beeline straight to the APR Stage III kit, cause in all honesty it's really not that expensive when you take a good look at what you're getting for your money. I'd really like a chance to test drive one though...maybe I'll spend some of my sky miles and go out there to APR or hook up with Ed P. or someone for a testdrive, then I'll probably be sold.

Regards,

James R.

2001 A4 1.8TQMSXP (Oettinger Pedals, Oettinger RE's 17x8 Yoko AVS Sports 225/45/R17, Euro Xenon Housings, Bailey BPV, Turbo5 Intake and RS4 Grille)
Old 12-17-2000, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignore that post...some weird cut and past stuff....read this one of you care to read it.

proper gearing for flat out 140~160 type driving I think you'd kill the engine pretty quickly after a few thousand miles of that kinda treatment.

BTW - With the K04 it didn't take very long to get up there...I was surprised how quickly the speed built.

Personally I don't think I'm going to play around with chips and K04's on this car...I have a feeling once my finances permit I'm going to beeline straight to the APR Stage III kit, cause in all honesty it's really not that expensive when you take a good look at what you're getting for your money. I'd really like a chance to test drive one though...maybe I'll spend some of my sky miles and go out there to APR or hook up with Ed P. or someone for a testdrive, then I'll probably be sold.

Regards,

James R.

2001 A4 1.8TQMSXP (Oettinger Pedals, Oettinger RE's 17x8 Yoko AVS Sports 225/45/R17, Euro Xenon Housings, Bailey BPV, Turbo5 Intake and RS4 Grille)
Old 12-17-2000, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Top Speed

Hi,

First, the speedometer has nothing to do with top speed >8^D.

Your top speed will either be Electronically limited, GEAR limited, or DRAG limited.

Once you remove the electronic limiter, either you don't have enough power to spin a gear past a certain point (drag limited) or you can rev the biggest gear to redline/fuel shutoff.

You can calculate theoretical top speed for the A4. Just need gear ratios. Then you just enough power to spin the gear, hehe.

FB