Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Autothority Chip for 2.7t / S4 - any expereinces? Invisible from dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autothority Chip for 2.7t / S4 - any expereinces? Invisible from dealer?

I stopped by Autothority in Fairfax, VA (www.autothority.com) today to ask some questions, including some about their Audi chips.

Apparently they offer a chip for the 2.7t / S4 that gives 66hp at the crank, I forget how much torque. As described to me, they take the ECU out and put the ECU chip in their "burner" and downlaod their software, then reinstall. It is $495 for chip and $89 for install.

The person there told me that their chip was safest because they did not exceed 1.0bar. They ALSO said that if I had some warranty issues that may be related to chipping, I could come to them and they would remove the software from my ECU (returning it to stock) for $100 and the dealer would then not be able to tell that the car was ever chipped. I could then have the software reinstalled for $89, not having to pay the $495 again.

I don't know much about this stuff, I'm just getting into turbo cars so hopefully I've relayed this info properly...

What I'm wondering is..... Is it really true that this would prevent the dealer from noticing the car had ever been chipped? Anyone have expereince with this company's products? Is it true that by keeping the boost at 1.0bar there is a reduced chance of damage?

thanks.....
Old 10-21-2003, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Autothority Chip

1.0bar (14.7 psi) is pretty much all those little turbos on that motor can take. So Autothority's making a hard-deck like that is just common sense in covering one's ***.

As far as what a dealer can tell when it comes to chipping, they dont physically go into the ECU and start looking for loose soder, or make a clean software sweep of any kind. The ECU is pretty much sealed from a techs interest and is about the size of a VCR tape. What they can do to look for a chip, is measure Newton meters of torque. Some of the new VAG software that a tech at your local Audi dealer uses, can measure EXACTLY how much power you are producing, and know exactly how much stock should be. And this was a few years ago.

Basically, if you have your ECU set back to stock, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. But dont think that an experienced Audi tech has never heard of chipping and doesn't know what to expect to see from a spent motor. By that, I mean an engine that has been beaten to near death. Just try approaching your service advisor carefully regarding the issue of chipping. Some are ****, and others like going fast just as much as the next guy. See what he says, and go from there. If they get the impression that you're a nice guy, they're not going to give you grief. After all, your survey from warranty work performed effects their pay.