Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

better ultimate handling, A4 Quattro or TTQ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default better ultimate handling, A4 Quattro or TTQ?

From anyone who has owned both or driven both extensively, which one has the best ultimate, track style, handling? I have an A4Q with superb H&R ultra coilovers but was thinking about a TTQ. Would use it on the track a few times and hopefully consistently more over time.
ANy thoughts?

Chris
Old 05-14-2002, 05:47 AM

Default Re: better ultimate handling, A4 Quattro or TTQ?

TTQ. Hands down. I have a 2001.5 A4qtms, and my wife has a 2001 ttqr. The TT makes me hate my car. I must admit that I have bilsteins on the TT, but no matter. Overall the TT is just designed to be a sports car, and the A4 is a sedan that wants to be a sports car. Give the chance I would drive the TT every day.
Old 05-14-2002, 07:05 AM
4kq

Default For the same investment?

A lightened, prepped A4 with a proper suspension will kick TT all day long.

The stock dynamics of the TT (Mk4) are fun and the ergos are more sporty. But if the A4 loses some weight and gets a proper suspension, then the contest is inverted. The TT is an FWD, pure and simple until Haldex makes it active (then we can reassess). (All IMHO, of course.)
Old 05-14-2002, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm with you (but I've never driven a TTQ Coupe) so my experience is only with a TT coupe 'n TTQR.

more in the motorsports forum
Old 05-14-2002, 08:04 PM
Elder Member

Default Night and day difference . . .

If you take each car in their stock configuration the TT wins hands down. BTDT.

Take each car and modify them to the hilt and the TT still wins. Lower to the ground and faster.

Forget the Torsen vs Haldex argument as that will go on forever. Everyone has their own camps and arguments, but very few that argue for one over the other has actually driven, let alone raced both!

You can't take people seriously that state the TT is just a MkIV platform and leave it at that. That is only part of the truth. Yes, the TT is based on the VAG MkIV platform, but the TT platform is not a standard MkIV platform. It has been shortened and widened. The front suspension has the same designed parts, but they are lighter and stronger on the TT as compared to the VW counterparts. The rear suspension on the TTQ is not even close to anything that VW sells in this country. The TTQ has a fully independent rear suspension with trailing arms and upper and lower control arms.

If you plan on tracking either car seriously you would need to perform the same basic mods, so compare those and see where things take you.

Since you own an A4 I am sure you also like the S4, which is a faster track car than the A4 stock, correct? Well, the TT is faster than the S4 stock vs stock. Yes, the S4 is slightly faster than the 225TTQ in a straight line but the S4 can't hang with the TT in any turn.

Again, I am talking stock vs stock. Don't compare S4 mod or A4 mod vs TT stock. Compare apples to apples meaning compare a modded car to another modded car.
Old 05-16-2002, 05:26 PM

Default And do the self same mods to a TT and you still have a superior handling car

Haldex or not...
4 door sedans are difficult to make into 2 door sports/coupes.
Dont get me wrong...I like the A4 and S4 as much as the next man...but you really are comparing apples to oranges.
TTQ has a fully independent rear suspension , and only shares the front with the GTI set up...now as you and I know the GTI has been known to hold its own on autocross as well as on the QuarterMile.

Just my opinion of course ;-)

Marcus
Old 05-17-2002, 08:13 AM
4kq

Default Track and AX, two very different worlds...

I'll go for larger wheel-base and track every time on the track. I still prefer the neutral to induced oversteer handling of a prepped A4. But that is why there are so many different car models.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:08 PM

True..look at ABTs DTM TT...stretched the wheelbase just a little
Old 05-20-2002, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Why dont they race the TT in the GT Series? Too bad no 2.7 bi-turbo for TT eh? ;-)
Old 05-23-2002, 12:25 PM
Elder Member

Default Various reasons . . .

one of which is the problem the SCCA has with the emergency egress through the door window. A helmet can't fit through this opening een off someone's head.

Audi sells 4 times as many A4's as TT's in the US Market so they race that car. The S4 is raced in Speedvision because they can race the Euro S4's.

Quick Reply: better ultimate handling, A4 Quattro or TTQ?