Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Boost controllers on pre-DBWs..

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost controllers on pre-DBWs..

I've heard from a few people that it's possible to use a boost controller on, say, a '98 1.8t. I've also heard from a few people that it's not possible - that the ECU will get mad and start pulling timing/etc.

Is there any empirical data with regard to this issue? I know the all-encompassing answer is going to be "chip the car", which I will probably end up doing. But - what about just a boost controller?

Has anyone done it with decent results? If so, I'd like to hear about it. Heck - I'd even like to hear about bad results.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:39 AM
mau
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm running a BC on a DBW...

I would not run a BC unless you are running a custom turbo that requires it. There are no issues (in my case) running a BC and chip together. Installing correctly also has a lot to do with the car running properly.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you will get significantly smaller gains from just doing a BC.....

boost controllers are meant for large turbos (like your Supra). The fact of the matter is, is that the K03 is TINY and if you try to hold 14 psi to redline, you will be overspinning your turbo and creating hellacious intake temps.

"Chips" maximzie the area under the curve as they allow the turbo to flow the max amount of "safe" air without getting into dangerous territory. This allows for 17-18psi in the midrange and then tampers down to 10-11 up high.

You may try a boost controller if you like (the Surpa and DSM guys have a REALLY hard time letting go of the notion of a BC)....but it will only be a matter of time before you change your mind (and/or get walked by a properly chipped car
Old 08-25-2002, 12:41 PM

Default Re: you will get significantly smaller gains from just doing a BC.....

Heh heh heh. I'm both a DSM and a Supra guy. Imagine that.

I was under the impression that K03 guys are able to make up to 20psi, and have it falling to around 17-18 by redline - sorta like the 2nd gen DSM guys and that teeny tiny T25. Some of the 1.8t VW guys locally are claiming 20psi with ARP-modded ECUs.

1.0 bar & pump gas (91 octane is 'premium' here in Colo) is still safe for these motors?

Thanks for the ongoing education, guys.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They are able to make "20" psi.....but you have to remember that the K03 is *MUCH* smaller than.....

a T25. 17-18 at redline is probably not possible. People have data-logged the waste-gate duty cycle and its approaching DC even with chips that taper boost to 11-12psi approaching red-line.

My car makes 20 psi in the mid-range.....but this is very hot air, not really that much more flow over 15-16 lbs of boost.
Old 08-25-2002, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default From your past, i think you should just bite the bullet and get a bigger turbo kit...

can't imagine a former Supra/DSM man ever liking a KO3 as anything more than either a paperweight, or a nice boost for your snowblower

As others have said, the KO3 needs to taper as it approaches redline. Some of the DBW guys running the PES T28 upgrade used a MBC because their boost was tapering toward 1 bar at redline...but the latest software revision has seemed to take care of that.

WYSIWYG has a Profec something or other MBC for sale, at least listed in his sig, FYI.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 08-25-2002, 06:37 PM

Default Thanks Sameer...

Maybe someday, but that'd be quite a ways down the road. I'm just looking to get all I can out of the stock parts on the car. If 1 bar is the max out of the K03, esp up here at 6200 ft ASL, then so be it. I'll boost 1 bar and be happy about it. Maybe someday when I come into some $$ again I'll put some sick & wrong turbo/fuel/engine management on the car and run 11s at altitude.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:27 PM

Default I think one of the reasons they're able to do that is because the AWM K03 has a larger compressor

wheel. That's why there are no Xchip for MY2000. Everyone's assuming 20psi is too much from the Xchip yet normal 1bar chips from both GIAC and APR do spike to 23psi in hot weather.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well if you want a nice kick consider a KO4 kit...

the big thing is it runs well to redline, and adds some noticeable power, so 235hp and good torque for 1700 from AWE, sounds like you can definitely do your own install on it.

If you really want to push your KO3, contact Mike Hood (CMH) on this board (not here anymore) he pushed his KO3 pretty damned hard with race chips, etc. Granted his motor was pretty much fried by 80k, but he was also dragging every weekend. He also ran as PelicanBlueT28 here for awhile.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 08-26-2002, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Well if you want a nice kick consider a KO4 kit...

If I do upgrade the charger someday, it'll most likely be to something more substantial than the K04... While 300 crank HP would be nice, 400+ would be even nicer.

Quick Reply: Boost controllers on pre-DBWs..