Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Borla Issues - X-Post

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2001, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla Issues - X-Post

https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/a4/msgs/409785.phtml
Old 01-11-2001, 12:37 PM

Default Also, see my followup..

<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m.new/a4/msgs/410259.phtml">Click here to see my followup</a></li></ul>
Old 01-11-2001, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You get what you pay for I guess :-) Guess that is why I like MTM
Old 01-12-2001, 08:32 AM

Default My car is stock and had the same problem (x-post)

Hiya,

My 1999.5 TQMS had the same problem, the catalytic converter cracked completely off at the flange. It was repaired under warranty.

Perhaps you should consider this as part of the problem, rather than the exhaust. It has happened to a vehicle with all hangers in place.

Good luck with your new exhaust,

Michael
Old 01-12-2001, 03:34 PM

Default Interesting..

Seems I had heard someone else mention that it had happened to them also (don't remember if the car was stock or not).

That would be good if it wasn't the exhaust. When it broke the first time I was about 300 miles from home. I stopped into a service station, asked them for a long piece of bailing wire (which they gave me for free - a Sunoco station in Exton, PA on Lincoln Pkwy across from Sears - if you're ever in the area be sure to give them some business), and was able to rig it back together. Mine hadn't actually cracked off, rather the pipe had come out from within the flange. I shoved it back in and wrapped a couple of loops of bailing wire around the bottom of the cat and around the manifold that connects the turbo to the engine to hold it together. I stretched the wire up over one of the turbo bolts to put tension on it, and not only did it get me all the way home, but got me around for two weeks while I waited for the replacement cat to come in (none of the dealers in the area stock catalytic converters -- I was told this is not a high maintenance part). The tech who worked on it said it was so quiet when he drove it into the garage he would not have known it was broken.

Audi did warranty the work in my case, but the tech who did the work said that he had an issue with the missing bracket (he even printed out a diagram of the stock bracket and gave it to me), and that any future replacements would most likely not be covered under warranty.

Paul
Old 01-13-2001, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Is the Neuspeed exhaust a Borla product?......(more)

I wonder if the problem has ever been addressed to them and if they have done anything yet?
Old 01-13-2001, 07:46 AM

Default Yes, and Neuspeed has helped in spades in the past!

I originally bought my Borla through APR. But since a lot of Neuspeed customers were also having problems (the Neuspeed product was essentially the same exhaust system with cosmetic changes, like logo, etc.), Greg Wu of Neuspeed got active and persuaded Borla to correct the problems. He even organized a campaign to get warranty replacements for EVERYONE who had one of these exhausts, even non-Neuspeed customers! That is how I got my replacement. Not though Borla, but through Neuspeed -- even though I originally bought my exhaust through APR! Don't get me wrong, APR *did* initially try to work with Borla to get the problems corrected; but they were ultimately unsuccessful, and APR eventually severed their ties with Borla completely.

I may come across as someone who is quick to criticize, as in the case with Borla. But I should also recognize Neuspeed for going above and beyond the call to help people out. This, in my opinion, really stands out; and as a result I will make every effort to give Neuspeed (and APR, because they did try) as much business as I can in the future.

Paul
'98.5 A4 1.8TQTS (56K mi.), tuned by APR and Neuspeed
Old 01-14-2001, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Cool deal. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-15-2001, 01:45 PM

Default Putting our experience together..

Hiya Paul,

Putting it all together, I would say the metal in this region (flange to the body of the cat) is probably thin (possibly to heat up faster-faster cat light-off=lower emmisions).

My theory on my car is that ice (Cleveland, OH) and packed snow got under the car (I park outside, on waiting list for inside spot in my building) causing some stress on the part (opposite of yours without the hanger). Ice-water hit the hot part under stress and caused the crack. It "should", as the service manager mentioned, be a low maintenence part, but under stress, it may be prone to fracture.

I've checked the service bulletins, but nothing is mentioned.

I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust this summer/fall and will keep your experience in mind when I make my choice!

Later!

Michael