Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Checked the archives - please help me with picking new brake pads, my EBCs are driving me nuts!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 07:39 PM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checked the archives - please help me with picking new brake pads, my EBCs are driving me nuts!!!!

I have EBC Greens and have tried everything, but they squeal like hell and clunk over bumps. I can't take it anymore.

I need new pads - what should I get?

I've heard Porterfield R4S are a good pad, but they seem a bit expensive and I've heard mixed reviews re: squealing.

Mintex Red Box - Not interested, from the reviews I've heard

Pagid (all colours) - Sound like great pads, but once again - squeal????

Where does this leave me? Should I go back to stock and be done with it?????
Old 11-13-2000, 07:47 PM

Default Here's what I've tried.

Mark, sorry your having trouble. I hear you on the squeal. I don't really know what to suggest but here's what I've tried.

stock: dust, quiet, fade on track, chunking
RedBox: no dust, quiet, much fade on track, chunking
C-Tech: dust, minor squeal, some fade on track
Pagid Orange: dust, horrid squeal, no fade, warped rotors
C-Tech (this time with the damping stickers): dust, no squeal, fade

Good luck,
Rich
Old 11-13-2000, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Make sure the pads utilize the springs...also

To help prevent (not eliminate in all cases) use a anti-squeel compound. I have even used anti-sieze smeared on the backing plate with great success
Old 11-13-2000, 08:26 PM

Default R4 and R4S

On my non-audi track car, I use R4S on the street. Great feel, little dust, never squeal, no heat-up req'd. Carbon-kevlar I think.

I switch the fronts to R4 for track use. There is no pad for both, if you brake aggressively. The R4 is fine for the commute to and from the track (150 miles ea way, little braking), but will wear the rotors if used routinely. At the track, front R4 pad will wear 2 mm per 100 mile track day, 1' 29" RX7 FD at summit point.

Will be using slotted rotors next spring, to keep the track pads fresh.
Old 11-14-2000, 03:51 AM

Default The clunking part has me puzzled

The front outside pad uses a spring that should stop any freeplay and clunking. The rear pads are different as they dont. But mine dont rattle around front or rear. It might be because I was able to remove and re-use the adhesive pads that came with the stock pads. I am not sure where to find something like that aftermarket and I would expect the anti-squeal compounds to do the same thing, but it obviously isnt working in your case.

I cant remember...did you surface your rotors before installing the pads? That wouldnt help with that clunking you describe but it should have improved the pad bedding and make squealing less likely. Audi tech bulletins has instructions for resurfacing that can be done at home.<ul><li><a href="http://tech.vw.com/audi/newtech.htm">http://tech.vw.com/audi/newtech.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 11-14-2000, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Are the springs on the pads tight?

If the springs are loose in the caliper, they will bang and squeel no matter the gunk you put on them.

If you take the pads off to check- a gob o' grease on the backs of the pads will also work as antisqueal. Messy as anything, but it works.
Old 11-14-2000, 05:43 AM
CP

My R4S's squeal a wee bit...the tradeoff for much better performance.
Old 11-14-2000, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sounds like squeel is the problem...if so....

you pretty much stuck running a stock street pad. Performance pads always squeel
Old 11-14-2000, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

EBC Greens? Squeelers, dusty, probably work like a champ. I'll have to get a set!
Old 11-14-2000, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I cound never find a good pad for the street- factoyy pads for street, Mintex Ctech for the track.

I tried a few hotrod pads but they all performed poorly until they hot. On the highway, the brakes cool off and can cause problems when I have to make those panic stops.

Quick Reply: Checked the archives - please help me with picking new brake pads, my EBCs are driving me nuts!!!!