Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Which chip and cat-back exhaust system is best for S4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which chip and cat-back exhaust system is best for S4?

I am planning on dropping a chip and cat-back exhaust system. I am new in this S4 setups, so I need some feedback. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2001, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They are all good.....just take your pick. None have proven to be better than any other.

The difference is how much you are willing to spend and (for exhaust) what sound do you want?
Old 05-10-2001, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I would go with:

chip - APR, MTM or Garret - you want to pick a company that can provide you with further modifications in the future. (downpipes, new turbos, etc) IMHO

exhaust - anything under 1k - Borla, LL-Tek, APR and a few other ones I missed...

Do a search on different exhausts in the S4 board to see which ones are quiter and pick one that suits you. All are pretty good, I would go for the cheapest one I liked...
Old 05-10-2001, 07:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: They are all good.....just take your pick. None have proven to be better than any other.

I want my car to feel much faster, but keep it stock sound, you know keep it like a sleeper car.
Old 05-10-2001, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I would go with:

I just want to chip it and make it feel faster boost up psi and etc.. and for the exhaust i want it stock sound or a little louder than stock.
Old 05-10-2001, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As far as quiet exhaust goes.......

I have the Scorpion and it's perfect for me. It's a little louder than stock at idle and low rpms, but not much different above 4500rpm....just sounds even smoother. You can get it from 899-1200....depends on where you look. Other good performing, quiet exhausts are the MTM, Miltek(sp?)/Forge, Supersprint and the Borla is not too loud from what I heard. Prices range from as low as mid 500s for the Borla to $1700 for the MTM!!
Old 05-10-2001, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Like the R said: Scorpion or LL-Tek for the money, both quiet and affordable

as far as the chip, I had MTM first and later APR. MTM has more mid-torque, APR a bit higher HP on high RPM. If you want more linear power curve=APR, if you want huge torque that later dies out=MTM. Both good but different. The reason I got APR was for different program options and for their more affordable downpipes. I am also planning to do a turbo swap and prefer APR's stage 3 (for the A4) better... Hope this helps

PS: ABT, Garret also make excellent chips... When I started modifying my car, I just though like you. You should keep in mind that you might want to modify your car further later down the road and pick your tuner accordingly. Just my 2 cents!

Old 05-10-2001, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Like the R said: Scorpion or LL-Tek for the money, both quiet and affordable

I was thinking of going APR Chip and APR Exhaust and downpipe?
Old 05-10-2001, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cool....make sure it's APR's newest exhaust and downpipes.

They've made revisions. THe newer exhaust is much quieter than the old one....be prepared for some power! I ran 13.1 without the downpipes...so, you should be even faster with that combo.
Old 05-10-2001, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That is probably the quickest 1/4 with a stage 2.... 13.1 - woahhh

You are right though about the downpipes and the exhaust. The new downpipes (I am #1 in wait list) have flex-joints just like the original downpipes. Should help with fit, finish, and noise (at least when the engine is cold)

Solomon: Make sure it is the new APR cat-back exhaust though - the old one was THE LOUDEST - some people sold it after they could not handle the noise levels.

One more advice: If you plan on doing turbo swap later, I would also look for true-dual setups like VM1. Yes they are loud, but you will not have to get a new exhaust when the time comes... Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Which chip and cat-back exhaust system is best for S4?