Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Coilover vs. Bilstein/lowering spring suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2000, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover vs. Bilstein/lowering spring suspension.

I have yet another round of suspension questions.

I got some prices on an install with lowering springs and are all around $600 (I already have Bilstein shocks). Then I found about the Koni coilovers that sell for $900. I figure maybe this would be the way to go especially if I do the install myself.

<b>Questions:</b>
-Does anyone know much about the Koni coilover setup? How is the ride and quality of the product?

-How would the Koni Coilover setup compare to a Bilstein/ H&R Race, Eibach Pro-Kit, or Intrax setup? It seems like just the adjustability alone would be worth it.

-Are coilovers a little easier to install since they are stand alone? Or do they require pieces from the stock Shock/Spring assembly?

I know the Vortrag setup would be the best route to go but I just don't have/want to spend that much money on the suspension. I'm happy with Bilstein/H&R Sports but just want something better if possible - maybe that's why I'm sweating it so much...

Thanks for any information!

-Don
99 1.8TQM
Old 10-27-2000, 08:28 AM

Default Koni Coilovers: You have mail.

Here's my response, also via e-mail:

The Koni kit is a great kit for the money. The ride quality really depends on how much you lower the car and how you set the rebound rate on the shocks. I have my shocks set to about 35% and that's plenty stiff. I would probably recommend about 20-25% if you are just driving the car on the street. You could keep the ride height to around 26" (ground to fender lip)with shocks set to 20% and you would retain a very nice ride with very good handling. The sweet spot for handling seems to be around 25-25 1/4", but the ride suffers a bit too. I'm running at about 25 1/2" all the way around. I may raise the car just a tad more. I think the Eurosport springs sit around 26" or so, stock sport around 26 1/2", and stock non sport around 27 1/4 - 27 1/2" (dont' quote me on these numbers you guys and no flames!). I wouldn't recommend lowering below 25" as the A4 suspension doesn't have enough travel to do it's job and you'll be riding on the bump stops!

Install was fine, but really takes some time. I don't have tools or a place to work on the car so Audiboy and I did this together with his expertise. You definitely need a quality (heavy duty) spring compressor - there have been a few other posts about this on the forums that should be in the archives. As I remember, the stock shock and spring assembly goes and is not used, but you do use the sleave that comes with the stock setup. The coilover kit has it's own bump stops, etc.

Really, unless you are going to the track a lot, I don't see any reason to spend more money on a kit unless you want something like double adjustable shocks (KW kit has this I think).

If you do not have a lot of experience doing suspension work, I would strongly recommend you take the kit to an experienced installer. I highly recommend the kit, with a few caveats that you should know about.

1. One of the shocks that came with the kit was defective as it was stuck at 100% dampening (extremely rare for this to happen). Normally, Koni requires that you return the whole kit, they will repair it and send it back to you. I was able to work out a different arrangement but it took some doing. The kit is made in Holland and they won't ship individual parts from the kit. The point here, obviously, is that if you had a problem and you went with a standard shock/spring combo, you could get replacement parts much more easily.

2. I'm having some issues with noise from the drivers side suspension. I'm going to remove the coilover from that corner and realign the spring in the rubber boot to see if that doesn't help. The 3 other corners are all quiet with no strange noises.

The difference in handling from non-sport is astounding; my girlfriend loves driving my Avant on twisty roads! Even the stock sport suspension has a lot of "float" as you probably know. I like the Koni kit because the rebound on the shocks is adjustable, whereas the H&R kit is not (still a great kit though).

Ok, I gotta go, work to do you know! Good luck and let me know how it all works out for you.
Old 10-27-2000, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thnx, for the great writeup!

This has me leaning a LOT towards the Koni kit. Looks like this could be a good fall/winter project.

-Don
Old 10-27-2000, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default How would they rate compared to the H&R Coilovers.. what settings would be comparable...............

on the KONI system.
You guys are on the same level as I am. I was about to inquire about the same question. I am debating between Koni and H&R Coilovers. Thanks in advance :-)
Is the ride on the H&R rough for everyday driving?
Old 10-27-2000, 12:28 PM

Default Re: I heard That the Koni's were rougher than the H&R even on the softest setting.

This comes from an aftermarket dealer...
Old 10-27-2000, 12:32 PM

But the Koni's do have Adj. Dampening &gt; More Ideal for Racing
Old 10-27-2000, 12:46 PM

Default No idea. Ask Steve S maybe.

I've never ridden in an H&R equipped A4. One thing you guys must remember, perceived ride stiffness depends on many factors:

1. Spring rates
2. Shock valving for compression and rebound
3. Ride height (huge factor, often overlooked)
4. Tire Pressures

Wheel diameters and tire sizes make a difference too, of course. And realize, I'm not the final word on coilover kits. I'm just a guy who likes his Koni kit and has half a brain.
Old 10-27-2000, 04:16 PM

Default I had the same question before I bought my Koni's

First, I have heard great things about both Koni and H&R kits. The main reason I decided to go with the Koni's was because the damping is adjustable and they cost less. I have also heard people say that the H&R's are a bit soft but I have never driven a car with them installed so I can't really say. Bottom line is that i'm happy with the Koni's. I would highly suggest getting them instead of a Bilstein/spring combo. The extra few hundred bucks is well worth it.

BTW, I have the damping set to about 60% all around. It is definitely different compared to the sport package setup but it's not to hard for my taste at all. The result is very flat cornering and quick rebound. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2000, 04:21 PM

Default I have my Koni's set to 60%. If I set them at the lowest setting I really think they would be....

...too soft.

And yes, i've heard that H&R's are soft too at their setting (which can't be changed). That's a big reason why I went with the Koni's instead.