Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Cross Post: Advice: Lightened Flywheel Options and opinions??? Search wasn't very helpfull. TIA

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross Post: Advice: Lightened Flywheel Options and opinions??? Search wasn't very helpfull. TIA

S4 Motor is coming out for a KO4 upgrade and I need advice on clutch/ Flywheel combos.
TIA
SunnyS4
Old 10-11-2002, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default from what I hear, lightnened flywheels aren't very daily driver friendly

maybe it's more of a 1.8 thing to jsut upgrade the clutch and leave the OEM flywheel.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default agreed...I have one in my TT and it really is a little finicky......

It is a nice performance gain but sometimes it is a little grabby. If this were my daily driver, I would probably get a little annoyed with it, but since this car is my toy...I dont mind it
Old 10-11-2002, 06:42 PM

Default I agree, I had heard mixed reviews.

Some people have had driveability issues with a lightened flywheel, others have not. In my opinion unless you are taking the car to the track all the time don't bother. Otherwise you are just adding another part that may break. Remember that the aluminum flywheel has metal plates to engage the clutch which are riveted in place, but the rivets can break. The flywheel can also get too hot under severe conditions and warp which means you would have to replace it. Not so bad as far as cost, but a pain in the butt as far as labor if you are paying, or time if you are doing it yourself.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: agreed...I have one in my TT and it really is a little finicky......

you could try putting in an RS4 clutch kit. go to Achtuning.com and click on parts catalog. I was at an audi tech event (big brake install workshop) at their shop the other day and they are real nice guys. I think it was around $550 for the kit.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've driven an 99.5 A4 with APR Stage 3 and southbend clutch withOEM

flywheel. It was smooth as stock and engaged a litlte lower. FOr me that is great since the A4 clutch engages so high up. It holds the power adn feels stock.
Old 10-12-2002, 04:17 PM
No Bozos!

Default Since they don'y have as much mass...

you need to be on the throttle all the time. If you are just sort of not accelerating, not coasting, it gets very jerky. It needs positive drive all the time. You also don't want to be slipping the clutch a lot. The added heat tends to warp them quickly. Then they get real jerky.

I have one, and unless you are going to race full time, I'd advise against it.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'ved heard of people stalling a lot in hot weather runnign a lot of

electrical item with a low mass fly. Just not a streetable setup from the info I have.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:26 AM
RS
AudiWorld Member

Default Do it

I have had an aluminum flywheel for over 2 years. Improved acceleration, no hanging engine RPM's between shifts.

Driveability is fine. The only drawback is on the 4 cylinder cars where it can cause more idle vibration.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:31 PM

Default AWE Lightweight flywheel

I run RS4 clutch and pressure plate with AWE's lightweight flywheel. It has held up through over 140 launches in the last 7-8 months and is no worse for the wear. It's very streetable. If you're in their for the K04 upgrade, it's the time to do it.

Quick Reply: Cross Post: Advice: Lightened Flywheel Options and opinions??? Search wasn't very helpfull. TIA