Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Custom turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom turbo questions

If i spot for like a T3/T4, 16G, GT37 or a SP60(.58 AR trim). to reach about 350hp what is the weak point. pistons? How much can the bottom end take? vavletrain? would cams be benefecial? what kinda of lift should i look for, duration?

Who do i contact for a ecu program. or do i run boost/fuel controllers. What are the highes CC' injectors I can get what will they support? do i need an additional fuel pump?

Lucas ?(i think did this a while back) any updates
and anyone who has done custom, would you do it again or go mainstream with PES/APR etc
Old 08-08-2001, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Custom turbo questions

Garret Turbos have a Turbo that is a Hybrid GT25 delivering Base HP at 350HP.
I have this turbo in my car.
Ray Hall Turbo in Australia stocks this turbo.
www.turbofast.com.au
As for Weak link.
The Con-Rods are the only thing in question, stock Pistons, Crank and Valves are still good.
But moving over to JE for pistons is not a bad thing, they have a Bigger Ring Landing.
APR are using this piston/rod combination in their Stage IV kit.
Software wise i would look at GIAC with 310cc injectors.
I also have schrick cams installed, but i am not fully sure if they are really worth the money.
Gain here is small.
It would be worth doing some small porting to the head, mainly to get rid of all rough parts.
I have dynoyed so far at 356HP, still no fuel delivery problems, so a new Fuel pump is not really required.
But I do believe it is if you start approaching 400HP.
Old 08-08-2001, 10:20 PM

Default Thx lucas

Oh and For a chipped K03 would a head job(HAR HAR), ported manifolds, shrick cams, rebuilt internals be worth while. would they rasie peak HP or actual usable HP. I wouldnt mind slowly prepping my car for for the PES/APR/custom turbo kits?
Old 08-09-2001, 01:09 AM

Default would TT con rods and pistons be a good upgrade?

lucas can you e-mail a list of mods you've done and a good place to get them please.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Me too please...

...considering my options on which path to take on my build up.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2001, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No. Got to get new ones. I will be doing that soon. Email me in private if you need more info.
Old 08-09-2001, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am installing a T3/T04E...

...with a projected peak HP of around 325. I don't want to put anything in the lower end and I think this is the safe limit.

I will, however, put on a fresh factory head to make sure everything is within spec becuase I will have 140,000miles on the car when the new setup gets installed.

As far as programming goes, I would stick with the 310-312cc injectors and Bosch programming. The best part about these injectors is that they are Ford Motorsport 30lb injectors. You can buy them fairly new for about $150 for a set of 8 or new for less than $250 on Ebay. Just keep checking.

MIke O.
Old 08-09-2001, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default From what I have heard....

The 1.8T block can handle approx. 350HP-400HP without any major modifications, you will be approaching the limits after that number. I think a 5-angle valve job on the head would be a positive for your kind of application, will definetly provide a smoother running motor. As for fuel system delivery, I belive the only thing that needs to be replaced is the fuel pressure regulator. A good quality FPR can be bought for less then $200, I believe PES has one. Also another thing I would recommend is doing the intake manifold, specifically a process called extrude-hone, it will do wonder for the car's breathing. Extrude-honing can be done by a good speed shop, basically it smooths out the inside of your intake manifold by using a metal paste, it also opens us the intake providing more air into the engine. In case you forgot more air=more HP. Good luck and let us know how this works out.
Old 08-10-2001, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Injector flow rate.

Mike:
I'm surprised you're planning on running 310cc injectors at that power level.
According to the formulas I've seen (RC Engineering and other places) the 310 injectors should be good for about 240hp unless you're running really high fuel pressure.
Any idea what your injector % open time is with your current setup?
Old 08-10-2001, 07:19 AM

Default What is drivability like with your set up? Do you have lots of lag and a . . .

ton of top end. Do you have any dyno sheets you could post? Thanks,

Rob

Quick Reply: Custom turbo questions