Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

For a daily driver, AWE K04 w/FMIC or APR Stage III?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 01:31 PM
cby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For a daily driver, AWE K04 w/FMIC or APR Stage III?

I put 20K+ miles every year on my car. From the reliability stand point, which kit should i choose? I won't go to track event very often, i just want a faster daily driver.

PS My car is a 98.5 1.8TQ currently with lletk cat back exhaust, P-chip, H&R Race spring with Koni Shocks and K&N filter.
Old 05-04-2001, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default RS4

8-)

I'd say KO4, torque power as low as 2000rpm is whats reported, and at about $3000+/- installed, nice deal!

But, stage III is pretty impressive.

Audi On!
Old 05-04-2001, 02:18 PM

Default I feel that Stage 3 is very reliable. 4k miles in 8 weeks. not a single light

And it idles nicely and drives well in traffic too. K04 turbo reliability is not as good as Garret turbo. Besides, you are not saving that much with a k04 anymore, only 1400 or so.
Old 05-04-2001, 04:18 PM

Default Triple K vs Garrett/Allied Signal reliability

Please do not confuse turbo failure from improper software tuning with inherent mechanical reliability.

The Triple K K04 turbo is as reliable as any other turbo when supported properly.

In fact, I would dare say that Triple K has superior seal reliability vs Garrett/Allied Signal.<ul><li><a href="http://www.awe-tuning.com/products/audi/audiparts.cfm?PMaI=1&PMoI=1&PEI=2&PP=a4_18t_drivet rain.cfm&PPT=Drivetrain#AWEK04">K04 Kits from A.W.E.</a></li></ul>
Old 05-04-2001, 05:34 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I agree with you in most part....

first point is accurate in my book.

Second point is accurate, with the added point of not exceeding it's design envelope. (I'm supposing this is what you mean).

The third is arguable, and would be better discussed with hard data to back that up claim/supposition. The Garretts need only a fraction of the oil the K03/K04 does, as the bearings do not use oil as a support mechanism for the shaft. The K03/4 uses the oil as a sleeve bearing, and because of that increase of oil requirements, naturally needs a more robust seal. The argument is similar to your first point. Do not confuse the increased design criteria of a seal to mean increase of reliablity. The seals are designed for the needs of the application.
Old 05-04-2001, 09:40 PM
Elder Member

Default I don't belive Todd said his assertion was based on seal strength

I do see your point that the higher seal strength of the KKK is nullified by the increased oil pressure necessary.

But I don't see that Todd said that was what he based his statements on. Perhaps he has some experience with the two and that is why he says the KKK seals are better.

Todd?
Old 05-05-2001, 05:22 AM

Default What Steve said!

My last statement was based on experience with relative failure rates, not on design alone.

Talk to any turbo shop that deals with both turbo manufacturers regularly.
Old 05-05-2001, 10:24 AM
Elder Member

Default It all depends on the application...

although I'd be willing to bet there are higher failure rates on K04s than GT-range Garretts (across ALL cars, not just Audis). With any turbo you have to look at the design setup it has been put into; a K04 in a properly-supported kit will have better reliability than a turbo that is not supported well by the other links in the chain (i.e. asking the turbo to do more than it was designed to do.) Look at the '00 S4 K03 failures; poorly-designed oil feed/return lines have crippled an otherwise great little turbo. The fact that nearly all of the failures have been the right-side turbo further support the notion.
Old 05-05-2001, 12:12 PM
Elder Member

Default I'd be ready to bet GTs don't do as well as KKKs

Assuming you keep the KKKs fed with oil. Because the GTs have ball bearings, which is one more part (more like 100 more parts) to fail.

In a self-made system where I'm not sure of the oil flow, I'd like ball bearings. In a designed from the factory system, I think a properly fed sleeve bearing holds the upper hand with its complete lack of metal-on-metal contact.
Old 05-05-2001, 02:54 PM
Elder Member

we're not talking about a "from the factory system". that was my point.

Quick Reply: For a daily driver, AWE K04 w/FMIC or APR Stage III?