Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

does neone know if the apex SAFCII works for our b6 audi's 1.8t?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does neone know if the apex SAFCII works for our b6 audi's 1.8t?
Old 07-13-2004, 07:04 PM

Default Re: does neone know if the apex SAFCII works for our b6 audi's 1.8t?

It will work on just about any car with a MAF. Whether someone has done it or not is beyond me.

The problem you will usually run into is that the ECU "fights" with the AFC and might freak out and go into limp mode. But, I've heard of people using them with GIAC code on other 2000+ audi engines and not having any problems.

You can always wire one in, and then leave the curve flat initially to make sure it's working. This way, the AFC just passes through exactly what it's reading from the MAF. Then slowly start making your changes and see what happens. Of course, if you go right to big injectors, you will have to scale the whole curve linearly, and then fine tune it from there. You should really look into getting a wideband O2 if you're going to do this. AEM makes a pretty sweet one for a little over $400. Someone told me the sensor replaces the stock one, and the control unit has a normal 0-1 volt lead on it that you can loop back to your ECU. You really should be watching EGT's also since you'll want to lean it out for best performance, but not enough to start burning holes in things.

What I'm wishing for is some kind of piggyback computer like the AFC that will take wideband O2 readings and modify fueling on the fly. AEM makes a very nice replacement ECU, but not a harness for Audi's yet. You can splice one in, but it's a lot of work, and you'll need to come up with base fuel curves and timing on your own.

I heard a rumor that Apexi might be releasing a successor to the AFCII, but I haven't seen anything yet.

In any case, they are easy to install. I helped put one in a mitsubishi a few weeks ago. Tuning it really sucks though if you don't have EGT's or a wideband O2.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:25 PM

if you adjust the fuel how do you propose adjusting timing as that is where real power is made.