Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Dropped the front left of my S4 w/o wheel on for

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped the front left of my S4 w/o wheel on for

reasons too stupid of me to go into detail (track event, thus no parking brake) . Thank god that no one was near the car to get hurt.

It was a slow roll forward, and not a slam down, that left two small marks in the pavement for the lowest bolt on the lower arm and the bottom of my loosened rotor (which slid up on impact).

Test driving yielded no noticible change in alignment/suspension, but my brakes feel a bit loose, delayed and shaky at high speeds 80+ mph. That might be the result of the crappy/used porterfields I was putting in as well as time for fresh fluid.

What is that bolt for (lowest one, facing down near the inside of the rotor)?

Thanks. Don't be a numbnut like me when removing wheels - always use a wheel stop.
Old 04-29-2002, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default you should carry a brick. They make ok jackstands ;) That bolt is to fasten one of the lower

control arms - the front one were the sway bar is attached - to the hub housing (bracket) whatever that thing is called connecting the wheel and the control arms and the steering knuckle all together.

It's a pretty tough bolt, and from what I can tell, how it dropped should not have damaged the suspension, specially if the concrete provide a tad of cushion when you dented it he he.

It's not a hard impact, as it would be the bolt resting on that bracket, then the suspension cushioning the fall. You'll be ok. Good thing you didn't have a ceramic brake disc
Old 04-29-2002, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I guess it was the equivalent to hitting a pothole and was suprised that no other part hit the

asphalt. nice, protected design!
Old 04-29-2002, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Guess what else I did.

After this incident, having never ever applied the emergency brake at a track event, I had lightly applied it to get the car back up w/ the help of some concerned folk.

I did almost an entire session with the e-brake lightly applied. DOH! Needless to say, it still works with just a bit more "pull" required.

Also I don't understand why the e-brake would warp during track days. Isn't it a separate system than the rear brake or is it still sqeezing the rear rotor.
Old 04-29-2002, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It's squeezing the rear rotor by slightly turning the piston - which is threaded in hence

it is spun in to retract. Basically, you just don't want the pads squeezing on a hot surface as the rotor could get deformed as it cools.

Some cars have a separate tiny brake drum inside the rear rotor for the hand brake. Even those, you don't want to set when the rotor is hot.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:15 PM

Default props for fessing up. an old bubba trick: slide your wheel/tire under the rocker panel

when doing a quick job like that without jackstands. then if it slips, it'll sit on the tire/wheel and be far better than landing on the rotor.