Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Hair's breadth from pulling the trigger on the Stasis diff mod - engineer types please comment.....

Old 04-06-2002, 05:25 PM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hair's breadth from pulling the trigger on the Stasis diff mod - engineer types please comment.....

<b> From Stasis </b>

<i>Differential Tuning

Tuning the center differential provides one of the most significant performance gains available to the Quattro owner. The standard torsen center differential in the S4 and A4 provides a 2:1 torque distribution capability. This enables the end of the car with traction (generally the rear) to deliver twice the torque being delivered by the least tractive end of the vehicle (generally the front). For high performance street cars, we recommend a bias ratio of 4:1. This is the same bias ratio that Audi has provided in the stock RS4 driveline.

In professional competition a high bias center differential provided a performance gain of almost 2 seconds a lap. This is the equivalent of adding 60hp to an S4. This is our first step in almost every tuning project. It provides a measurable performance gain for track-oriented drivers. For the enthusiast street driver in good weather conditions, it can provide the balance and control of a rear wheel drive vehicle, as 80% of the cars power will be applied to the rear wheels upon corner exit.

The center differential in an S4 is a slip in cartridge accessible from the rear of the transmission. The A4 center differential is a self-contained bolt on unit. Install time is approximately 2 hours.

Center Differential rebuild A4/S4 - $500
</i>

Please comment on reliiability, performance, etc.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2002, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nice sig....check the quattro list (www.audifans.com) was posted there (m)

personally, i like the idea, only problem i would have with it is the huge rear bias might lead to RWD type dynamics in certain situations, which could make for a different driving experience.....like, say, liftoff throttle oversteer.