Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Intake system

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake system

Just ordered an K&N intake sustem from TAP1. They say it'll be here on Monday. Can anyone tell me how reliable TAP1's products are???
They said that the system will give my car an extra 8-10 hp. Is this true? could an filter mod do that much??
thanx
Old 03-01-2001, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Intake system

I doubt it will add anywhere near that much power if it adds any at all. Is it just a K&N filter or is it the entire intake? Either way, I don't think you'll get that amount. But I could be wrong cause I drive a 1.8 and filters don't really affect a turbo car too much. But on my friends NA Integra all the intakes advertise stuff like "15hp", when they actually add like 2hp. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2001, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah, I wouldn't plan on very much if anything (more)...

In fact, if you research the threads, it seems like a slightly modified stock box is the best bang for the buck.

Go to europeanspeed.com ansee their *free* air box mod, add a $50 high-flow panel filter, and you're there...that's my plan!
Old 03-01-2001, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think that mod is for the 1.8t only, right? not sure.
Old 03-02-2001, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I still dont understand why people get this "intake kit" when you can just

screw on any cone filter.
the consortium is that the "heatsink" was put out of the loop, but like many of the "intake kit" installs ive seen. but cooling this heatsink if so easy that i dont see any problem.
i've been running with my current setup for 250mi now and totally no problems, just exhilirating(s?) tunes from the turbo.
funny thing is that i think the only people against the idea are OEM airbox supporters, "intake kit" sellers, current "intake kit" owners. hmmmm
Old 03-02-2001, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm not so sure either...
Old 03-02-2001, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Consortium says....

...you probably meant to say consensus (I know, your degree is in electrical engineering and not English)

That aside, I will continue to flame you for your ignorance. I will say it once again - the "heat sink" actually does something. Since you have claimed to be an "electrical engineer" (and are by no means some dim witted mop jocky at the local Krispy Kreme) you have surely spent hours studying the wiring diagrams for the A4 1.8T.

Since you know how to read wiring diagrams I refer you, first, to page 35/7 of the Official Audi Factory Repair Manual. If you are using the Bentley CD ROM, please begin on page 197. Working backwards from N122 (the power output stage computer that you call a heat sink), you will note that signals for b1, c1, d1 and e1 (ignition) are coming from the J220 Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM). These signals are modified by N122, which uses the heat sink to gather information on the pre-turbo/non-pressurized intake temperature. N122 then either slightly advances or retards b1-e1 signals before they are fed to N, N128, N158 and N163 (the ignition coils).

Using this factual and logical methodology, I have rendered your argument groundless (and worthless). Your 250 miles of auditory enjoyment may, in fact, have compromised the performance and reliability of your fine automobile. By running the "heat sink" outside of the direct intake stream, you may be advancing the ignition timing when it shouldn't be or visa-versa.

There must be some reason that the LLTek and Pipercross went to great lengths (no pun intended) to get that "heat sink" into the intake stream. Oh yeah, the reason is that they know what the heck they are talking about!

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

Mike O.
Old 03-02-2001, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wahooooo! Hard to argue with that...
Old 03-02-2001, 04:18 PM

Default I love that quote....

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

think that's gonna have to be my new email sig.
Old 03-02-2001, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default nice, this is new. since you have that manual, where does it say that it is a sensor?

i thought someone mentioned that this is not a sensor(my first assumption), that this "power output stage computer" is taking advantage of the airflow to cool what obviously is a heatsink(to me, atleast). but you say now that it "gathers information". how do we find out? what youve 'quoted' from the manual seem to be different from what the others say. are you reading it right? how come you have doubts what its purpose is? give us something, please.
IF it does what you say, will placing it close to the filter do its work? - "sense" stuff, i mean. will putting it far from the filter be different? considering that theyre actually using the same airspace
we better find out (maybe soon) because i just saw a couple of dudes that have their "modules" hanging by the wheel well during the last audi meet, which where i got the "idea"
i appreciate you sharing youre information, whatever you can. thats what most of us look for around here. the flaming part is i guess just part of your packaging. look around maybe i misused some more words. thanks

ps: no, i dont have a manual. no, i dont feel i degraded the performance of the car. do you have the lltek/turbo5 intake?

Quick Reply: Intake system