Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Intake system

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2001, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The way I'm reading the Bentley ...

Model Year 2000 engine code "ATW", has the coil driver built into the coil-pack.

But, 1999 and earlier engines with code "ABE" use N122 as the coil driver (I think Bentley has a typo here, cause my '99.5 engine code is AEB not ABE). Didn't see any sensors associated with N122, just seems to be a heatsink for the power transistors.
Old 03-02-2001, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

looks like the module is a solidstate switch (electronic 'contact points'. easy, just an assumption)
Old 03-02-2001, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i dont get it, please explain =)
Old 03-02-2001, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

also, if the newer models doesnt have this 'setback', is it still a bad idea?
Old 03-02-2001, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default & "intake kits" take the stack out of the loop, whats your view on this?

i mean, who's who in your book, audi engineering or turbo5/lltek/pipercross?
Old 03-02-2001, 10:19 PM

Default Re: The Consortium says....

Where in Bentley does it say N122 alters ignition timing? I always thought the power stage is sort of like an ignition amplifier(people have used that term before on AW). Maybe it just converts the ignition signal from the ECU to a higher voltage and then the coil ups it a little more. I really don't think Audi would alter the timing of the ignition with some device inbetween the ECU and the coils, I mean everything should be taken care of in the ECU.

Why would they measure the unpressurized air temp in teh airbox to control timing? It really doesn't make any sense. Then what's the use of the Intake Air Temperature sensor G42 at the throttle body? I would think the air temperature through the throttle body after the turbo and intercooler is more important for determining ignition timing. After all this temperature is closer to what is actually entering the cylinders.

This is not an attack on your post, I'm not an EE nor English major(as you can see in my writing =P). I'm just raising some questions. AFAIK N122 is not a computer, honestly I don't know exactly what it does but I really don't think it does any kind of temperature measurement.

This is what I gathered from the Bentley. I could be wrong tho.
Old 03-03-2001, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hoffman Audi is the one who told me this...

...and they blamed my modification of the air horn for the demise of this $315 part. They claimed that by shortening the airhorn and not subjecting the piece to the intake airstream, it is "affecting the ignition timing" while overheating. This piece apparently did something so vile to the #2 coil that it had to recently be replaced.

G42 definetely feeds back data to the ECM for processing. N122, on the other hand, has no power source other than the signals coming from the ECM. How can the module be amplifying the signal without an external power source. I view it as a signal modifier and not as an amplifier.

What would be interesting is to see is how the signal is modified by N122 with a change in temp. I may pull it this weekend (or Monday during the storm) to see.

Mike O.
Old 03-03-2001, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Uhmm, I think they may have fed you crap on that part :( It is primarily a heat sink..

The air sensor (for non turbo cars) is next to the MAF. For the turbo cars, there are two of them. This is true for many cars. The power module is located in a place goon enough to dissipate heat. Audi's are not unique
Old 03-03-2001, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

adds current, not really voltage. The ECU will fry if connected to coils directly
Old 03-03-2001, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the thing is after an hour of driving, this heatsink is as cold as steel(!?!?)

maybe i'll try 2 hours

Quick Reply: Intake system