Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

just a couple of questions for the poeple who attend track events..

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just a couple of questions for the poeple who attend track events..

whats going on guys. i am in an 04 1.8tqm ultrasport. i have coilovers, rear sway, and apr stage 2. after pissing away a lot of cash on my car i have decided i really want to learn how the drive the car better. i am looking to start tracking the thing. is there any thing i need for the track ie. racing seat, better brakes, anything at all. also i am from ny. where is a good place to take the car and have someone teach me how to drive this thing. i am a pretty good driver as it is however i would to attend sever club events. can i run the car as is? should i get lighter wider wheels? thanks
Old 05-27-2004, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't buy anything else. Just get the car out there and learn.

The only thing you might possibly consider after you get into the events is some better front brake pads.

Beyond that, for a beginner, the car will be far more capable than you for quite some time, so just get out and enjoy :-)

Since you're in NY, I'd suggest trying to do a club event at Lime Rock. It's a short, lower speed, technical course that is more about smoothness and momentum than outright speed. It's very easy to learn the track as well. For a new driver, going out to a place like the Glen will be a bit more daunting.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Don't buy anything else. Just get the car out there and learn.

hey. thanks for getting back to me. thats what i was thinking. i am always like more power i need more power but when it comes down to it its all about thte driver and i would love to get into motorsport. i was going to do a track event at lime rock to be honest. both myself and a good friend with an m were going to try the track out. i know it very well. up there often. going up for the alms race next month. thanks for the help. how do you find our cars on the track? keep up well with others?
Old 05-27-2004, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's all about the driver. I lapped a full-race spec miata on race tires at Lime Rock in April...

I've passed many a Turbo Porsche, Ferrari, and Viper as well. Most of the guys who own those cars and come out for fun either aren't very skilled, or just scared to push too hard. I know the only reason I got by them is the driver, as those cars are far more capable. It's a good feeling though!

The real point is to learn and drive at a pace YOU are comfortable with. When you get too competitive, you get in trouble. Having fun, safely, is priority #1.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default run what you brung, you'll probably be behind most AWD but definitely in front of other cars even on

your first day - thats rain or shine. my first event was VIR and everything was stock except chip, cone filter and heavy 18" wheels and was already being kicked out of the beginner group. my partner dingster and i turned in better times that the regular track guys on our first timed event with the same setup and just a fraction of a sec behind dingster's stg3/stoptech setup. i suggest doing autox first to get used to the Gs and the general feel of the car.

try emraracing.org's time trials. they have instructors and if you get lucky and get the better ones you'll learn the car in no time<ul><li><a href="http://emraracing.org">http://emraracing.org</a</li></ul>
Old 05-27-2004, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: run what you brung, you'll probably be behind mos

yeah i was thinking about doing an autox first however i really dont want to chew the **** out of my car in a parking lot however i am sure i will end up doing so anyways. what type of set up is your car running? does it pay to run a front mount with out a larger turbo setup? plan on doing apr stage 3 however its not out yet
Old 05-27-2004, 05:02 PM
SKS

Default Go to the NEQ website, get in the Glen event. Great track and

you can as comfortable as you want to be. NOBODY in the beginner group will be driving over thier head. Just don't plan on passing any turbo Porsches or Vipers...what events do you guys go to anyways?
Old 05-27-2004, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

definitely. mark my words, you'll be surprised one cold track day weeee!
Old 05-28-2004, 05:08 AM
SKS

neqclub.org