Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

koni question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default koni question

dose koni real make a dif on a factory sporrt sespention putting koni shock in dose that mean i need an alinement after ?and do i need springs too ?
Old 04-10-2003, 02:28 PM
Former Vendor

Default Yes

Shocks alone will make a huge difference in performance. The ride will be more taught, and feel much better.

After installing shocks, you should get an alignment done, however it won't be required.
Neither the front or rear have camber adjustments, and since you won't be lowering the car, the toe should remain in tact.

Aftermarket lowering springs aren't required to stiffen the car up some. They do help by providing a stiffer spring, and by lowering the CG of the car. However, they aren't by any means required.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear has independent camber adjustment. I agree with the rest
Old 04-10-2003, 06:35 PM

so there are koni that you can adjust the siffness?
Old 04-10-2003, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Koni sport shocks have adjustable rebound (uncompressing motion)...

It does have an effect of the stiffness of the ride because a very stiff setting can cause the car to bottom out - springs not bringing back the car to normal height fast enough after successive compression or bumps.

Picture this. If you have the rebound of the rear on full stiff and drive over a hump at speed. As the rear tires approach the bump, the rear tires will compress upwards to the fender as the spring absorbs the bump. This time, the ride doen't feel harsh becayse the spring and shock absorbed the impact. But as the rear tires pass the mid point of the bump, the rear suspension is still compressed because the shock doesn't allow the spring to extend fast enough. So, when the tire falls back to pavement, the rear is still compressed and there is nothing to absorb the impact of the tire falling back to pavement. Hence the harsh ride. Of course, this is an exaggeration, but you get what I mean.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default slightly different view...

Unless the springs are defective, the rebound happens instanteously, regardless of whether the shock is set @ full firm or soft. The spring rate is much, much higher than the shock's resistance. So, it's the spring rate that sets the harsh-ness of the ride.

If the shock is set at the softest setting, the springs will be doing more work. The weight transfer is softer/more flexible, giving the car a higher tendency to "sway". If the shock is set at full firm, the shock does most of the work. The rebound/transition is much more controlled and linear... less movement going from turn to turn.

Cris
Old 04-11-2003, 06:49 PM
SKS

Default Re: slightly different view...

It depends on your selection of shocks. I have a set of dbl.adj.Konis with 650/750lb springs on my A4 and with the rebound all the way up and depending on the track, they will suck the car down to the stops. One reason Neckcar went to a spec shock.