Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

MASSIVE UNDERSTEER!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MASSIVE UNDERSTEER!!!!!

i was wondering how to reduce the understeer in my 2007 a4 quattro... i'm thinking of going with a rear sway bar but want more opinions before i go out and buy anything. thanks for any suggestions or help.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:36 AM
PWR
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aldito2
i was wondering how to reduce the understeer in my 2007 a4 quattro... i'm thinking of going with a rear sway bar but want more opinions before i go out and buy anything. thanks for any suggestions or help.
Why? Suspension systems are such, Systems! There are many different ways of solving the problem such as changing spring rates, tires and even something as simple as tire pressures. It depends on how much change you're looking for and under what kind of driving conditions. Less under steer in the dry can equal massive oversteer in the wet.

Given the lack of information about your driving, such as type of driving (i.e. track, solo ...etc.), current vehicle setup as well as experience the only thing I can suggest is Hire a Pro!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by PWR
Why? Suspension systems are such, Systems! There are many different ways of solving the problem such as changing spring rates, tires and even something as simple as tire pressures. It depends on how much change you're looking for and under what kind of driving conditions. Less under steer in the dry can equal massive oversteer in the wet.

Given the lack of information about your driving, such as type of driving (i.e. track, solo ...etc.), current vehicle setup as well as experience the only thing I can suggest is Hire a Pro!
i drive aggressively not on track though. I am used to driving rear wheel drive cars im not sure that too much oversteer will be a problem but i would just like to get rid of a little. nothing too extreme as springs. Iwas thinking a sway bar but am not sure how well those work
Old 03-14-2010, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Known fast way on a quattro is slow in fast out! This can be changed a lot depending on what you install on car. Best way I have seen to get more OS is with a good real center diff and real rear diff. All cars w/US with wrong settings between front and rear bars. It costs a lot of money and time to really have enough susp/diff to move the characteristics at will. At least that has been my experience/

Last edited by A400; 03-14-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

To reduce understeer:
increase rear toe-out (if you go too far it'll eat tires like you wouldn't believe, DAMHIK)
stiffer rear swaybar
max front camber - wheels tipped in like this /-o0000o-\

min rear camber - wheels tipped out like this \-o0000o-/

Depending on the car and the settings, this combination can be VERY effective, so be careful. I managed (with this plus a coil-over setup and camber bolts) to get my 80 quattro to be a little too tail-happy and had to back it off a notch or two.

Softer or removed front sway bar would probably help, too, but I haven't tried it myself. You can induce oversteer with the "Scandinavian Flick", but you'll want to practice it in an open area before you try it on a narrow track. http://www.drivingfast.net/technique...vian-flick.htm