Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

mods for me a4 v6

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2001, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mods for me a4 v6

is there any way to mod my car up without spending much if any money if so then what are they thanks for your time
Old 03-10-2001, 02:24 PM

garrrrrrrrrrr matey
Old 03-10-2001, 04:23 PM

Default Well (long)....

Well I'm also about to modify my 2.8QTip. I've been looking around for mods and my choices ended up on the Giac Chips. Since i have the tiptronic, the Tip Chip will decrease my shift time of 0.8sec. Plus i'll be putting the power chip wich will give me 10hp and 15lbs of torque. To make a story short the guy at the shop he's a car racer so he's very qualified on tuning, plus he already installed those chips in cars like ours. So he goes to me my 0-60mph should drope a good 1.5sec. And he goes to me i'll also be faster than a 2.8 5spd sotck! So i'm gonna go ahead with those mods in the beginnig of summer! I hope that helped you. Oh and both chips cost around 900$ can installed. So basicaly it's the only way to get more power. An exhaust and intake will not give you any hp. Only a nice sound!!!!!!!!

If you wanna see my discussion with the owner of the shop click on the link below!!!
<a href="http://tracracing.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000033">Click Here</a>
Old 03-10-2001, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think those claims are overstated...

How could you possibly lose 1.5 seconds on 0-60 by going from 190 hp to 205 hp? Recally, that F=ma, so the change in acceleration is directly proportional to the change in horsepower, all else being equal.

I could see an approximate 5% improvement in 0-60 in your case, which if your 0-60 is 8 seconds, would be around 0.4 seconds.

I believe those times might have been relevant for a 1.8T, which gets a much bigger boost from a chip because they modify the turbo's boost.

I don't think a chip is worth it for a normally aspirated engine (the engine chip, at least), becuase the gains are quite small, especially when compared to the warranty issue (though for a 2.8 there's very little possiblity of causing a problem).

-B
Old 03-11-2001, 01:48 PM

Default Indeed overstated

Speeding up shift-time is not what you think - I have the chip in my 2.8 PES G2 A4. It reduces the delay in shifting, and makes the trasition a bit more abrupt. Makes things abit more sporty, but no faster 0-60.

And 10 extra HP is not going to improve your 0-60 by 1.5 either. Otherwise you could improve it by 0.5-1 second just turning off your air conditioner.
Old 03-11-2001, 02:34 PM

Default Well....

Basicaly what you're telling me is the owner of the shop who told me all which he's a car racer on speedvision that he's been lying to me???? Why would he lie, if he already tested those chips on other 2.8 and they got great results. Plus he goes to me he'll call the customers who had installed those chips to be able to judge by myself so i can test drive the car. He seems to me a very acurate person But I don't know who to believe and think anymore!!!!!
Old 03-11-2001, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not sure I'd really say he's lying...

But I think 1.5 seconds is "stretching" a bit. And, is he really going to say "well, the chip is $600 (or whatever) and you'll notice a little increase -- maybe 0.3 seconds 0-60..." maybe not, because he'd rather be on the "optomistic" end to help you decide that chipping is worth it.

The point is, it's a 10 HP increase. That's not that much. There's not a whole lot you can do to *really* increase the HP of the 2.8 engine, because there are no turbos (and the big gains with chips are all around increasing boost from turbos).

One way you *could* get a lot of extra boost is to get an APR chip with a "race" mode that requires 100 octane fuel. With this chip, they advance the sh*t out of the timing, because the 100 octane fuel won't detonate. That may give you as much as 50 extra HP in your engine.

I'm saying if you really want to notice a difference, you're going to need to add a supercharger or something like that. Just a chip isn't going to make a big difference on your engine. If it were me, I wouldn't chip that engine, because the expense/gain ratio (plus the warranty thing) wouldn't be worth it.

-B
Old 03-11-2001, 05:21 PM

Default Ok but....

The owner of the shop told me that i could test drive one before i'll do it on my car to see the difference......and apparantly all those people with those chips in their car are very happy with these mods and also they saw a good improvement after chipping. So why would he bother telling me to try one if it's not true!!!!! And they've installed alot of those chips on 2.8 up here in montreal(canada). And why would he tell me also that i would be faster than a 2.8 5spd stock! Probably because they've tested and measured the performance of these cars with and without the chips. I'm sorry here if i sound convinced on what the guy at the shop told me. But i'm just trying to figure out why would he be telling some bull sh*t since he goes to me that before i buy anything from him I could try one of his customers.
Old 03-11-2001, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Well....

He's not necesaryily lying but, he has a vested interest in your buy what he has to sell. I agree with most everyone here in that the money spent on a tuning chip to get you 15HP is not a worthwhile investment.

I disagree that intake and exhaust improvements only get you a "better" sound. When you free up the intake and exhaust tracks, the engine breaths better and you realize more useable HP that would have been used to move air into the engine and gasses out of it. Throttle response is crisper and the car will respond better.

I also agree that a 15HP increase will not get you the 1.5 sec 0-60 improvement that your tuner claims. In order to get this kind of performance you need to lighten the car by at least 200# or get at least another 50 HP.

IMHO.
Old 03-11-2001, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Ok but....

Then by all means drive one and see for yourself.

Remeber, he is trying to sell you something. If he can convince you and he can get you to convince yourself that you will be happy with the changes, real or perceived, then he has a happy customer and your money.

Buyer beware.

He is a business man. He wants your money.

Quick Reply: mods for me a4 v6