Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Oil catch can? Can someone just tell me purpose?If its a must to have?And how to install one?TIA

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm in process of modifying my Greddy catch can....

basically, I'm running a tube from the inlet about 1/2 to 3/4 ways down, then fill it with stainless steel scrubber pads.

This should trap the oil in the bottom, but still allow you to run the air back into the turbo inlet.

I'd leave the PCV valve in there, it operates under vacuum only, but that's where you spend a majority of your time.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:00 PM

Default Re: I'm in process of modifying my Greddy catch can....

The issue when operating in vacuum is you'll pull in unmetered air throught the catch can breather. Unless you put a check valve in the line going to the catch can.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not if the catch can is routed like stock...

where it goes back into the intake pre-turbo.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default actually, I believe is there is optimum vacuum required depending on the rpm and load...

During idle and cruise, there is very little blowby produced. So, a small amount of vacuum in the crankcase is required to help regulate the flow of blowby out of the crankcase and into the engine. Too much vacuum can cause seepage of the mixture through the rings and lower effective compression ratio as well as cause the engine to idle and cruise erratically. Oil can only be seeped through the PCV lines. At high loads, high rpms, there is a lot of blow bly produced. Hence, vacuum level is increased because the net result is still some small amount of pressure. This is when a vacuum pump is effective to keep the crankcase out of pressure.

This is why the turbo Audis have that 'PCV valve' between the intake piping and the crank vent. Without it, there may be excessive vacuum when not needed. But when a person chips the car, then that system was probably not designed to accommodate for the extra 'vacuum' caused by the more demanding turbos.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whadayamean illegal? officer, that's for my airconditioner. That filter thingy is for fresh air
Old 03-26-2003, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default When you say "PCV valve"...

which one are you talking about? The one pre-turbo, or the one between the intake manifold and the crankcase?

The one between the manifold and crankcase is only open when there is no boost in the manifold (we'll call it PCV #1)

The one from the turbo intake to the crankcase (PCV #2) should only be active under boost. As air is sucked into the turbo, then a vacuum is created in the turbo intake tube. More boost = more vacuum. How much vacuum, I don't know. It's less than what the engine produces while cruising, maybe 4-5 in. Hg.

From a performance standpoint, you don't want any vacuum in the turbo intake pipe, it raises the pressure ratio of the turbo, causing higher shaft speeds and more hot air.

It's times like this when I wish I had a Magnahelic differential pressure gauge
Old 03-26-2003, 04:08 PM
Elder Member

Default What I was saying is

I dont think that pump is moving the same abouts of CFM like a big turbo will. Our turbo might be causing a much higher vacuum at the crank case breather tube.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:30 PM

Default so this is why I've found oil in my BPV?

and a catch can "should" eliminate this?
Old 03-26-2003, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default maybe if you're using a stock turbo intake tube....

which is, what, 1.5" or so?

I'm running a 3" tube, you might run even larger.

1.5" = 0.5625 sq in.
3" = 2.25 sq in.

Assuming same length and temp, the pressure/vacuum will be 4x less in the bigger intake tube (P=VT)

So yes, we're flowing more air, but not 4x as much, so we will have less vacuum in the intake tract (pre-turbo) than factory.

I'm not saying we should run a vacuum pump, as I don't think it would benefit our cars at all, but I am saying that big turbos don't necessarilly mean more vacuum.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it's either that, or your turbo oils seals are shot...

more than likely it's just the crankcase breather sucking oil in.

Quick Reply: Oil catch can? Can someone just tell me purpose?If its a must to have?And how to install one?TIA