Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

out of curiosity, Would an older s4 or rs2 5cyl turbo engine fit in a b5 a4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

out of curiosity, Would an older s4 or rs2 5cyl turbo engine fit in a b5 a4?
Old 04-28-2004, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Way too long to use the factory radiator/AC condensor setup.

You'd have to side mount both of those, just like Audi did in the S2/RS2 and all 5cyl Type44's (the urS cars are Type4A's, which have a slightly longer nose and could squeeze in a conventional radiator/condensor setup, with the IC mounted low with ducting to/from it as well). You'd also want to run at least a S2 or RS2 spec intercooler.

I'd have a hard time believing things would fit w/out a whole lot of fabrication (starting with motor mounts, then radiator mounting/placement).
Old 04-28-2004, 11:58 AM

Default Of course! if youre switching engines, the radiator would prolly be the least of worries

Dahlback put the 5cyl engine into a vw golf and they mounted it longitudinally, the engine bay for the golf is setp for a transverse engine, so I would think an a4 would have a bit more room.
The radiator not fitting is not as big a deal if youre gonna go that far anyway.

Has anyone tried doing this?
Old 04-28-2004, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm 99% sure it was done on a avant somewhere in Europe....

it was a pink/berry color with BBS CH rims. I'm doing my best to see if I can locate info about it but I keep coming up empty handed.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:25 PM

Thanks, its sounds like such a cool mod I was wondering if anyone had tried it
Old 04-28-2004, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think you would have to relocate some pieces..

Like the radiator for sure, you may also have to do some cutting to the inside of the engine bay and major work to mount the engine. If you have a cheap car tho, it would the ULTIMATE if you wanted to take it that far. You van mount the radiator in the trunk and oil coolers, dry sump stuff etc. This would be my ultimate project car, especially with a 500 horse engine. These things (5 cyls.) have phenomominal torque even without the big mods.
Rod
Let me know if you decide to do this, I can help you a bit with some tips on the 5cyl. engine and tranny and diff. options.
Rod
Old 04-28-2004, 07:24 PM

Default dahlback relocated the radiator to the rear, the fenders were cut in the engine bay to allow more

room for the new engine.
URL:
http://www.dahlbackracing.se/english/projekt/golf_rs1.html

this car has 950 hp and weighs only 2000 lbs!

Im trying to decide right now, either stay with audi and build up a quattro based race car with carbon fiber body or buy an old 911 and put a newer cf body and swap in a 993 engine.

The porsche seems easier since alot of stuff is easy to swap out and seems like huge bang for the buck. But having a 5cyl turbo a4 quattro sounds so great too... (alot of work tho).
Old 04-28-2004, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: dahlback relocated the radiator to the rear, the fenders were cut in the engine bay to allow mor

There have been a lot of 901/911/930 cars built with 964/993 body work and engines. The A4 2.2L 20vtq would be pretty unique. If you have the want, and the means to do so, go for it! Where are you located?
Old 04-29-2004, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: out of curiosity, Would an older s4 or rs2 5cyl turbo engine fit in a b5 a4?

Brian Moody & Larry Koener at Champaign Motors in Denver are doing one for a rally car.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:29 AM

Default Re:

Im located in VA. Surprisingly, the porsche would probably be alot cheaper to build. Right now Im looking for a project that I can work on gradually, not dump all my money at once into it.

Whichever one I do, ill prolly take the summer to prepare the chassis and strip it down, remove useless panels, weld in new pans blah blah blah (the fun part). Im in college, so I have to work during the summer to make the money for the project, but at least I'll have weekends to work on the car.

right now im looking at paying around 1000 for just a rolling 911 chassis (complete with rust of course!) I currently own an a4 but dont want to sacrifice it, so Id prolly have to go with a cheaper used a4 maybe a high mileage b5?

Oh, I looked around for high performance audi engines, apparently, TJM (U.S. Dahlback importer) sells 450hp longitudinal 1.8T 20V engines for 8K.

993 engine costs maybe 8 to 9K plus whatever I need to switch it over. Ive even seen 996 engines for sale a turbo one went on ebay for around 7k.

How much would a 5cyl turbo run for?

Quick Reply: out of curiosity, Would an older s4 or rs2 5cyl turbo engine fit in a b5 a4?