Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Pretty disappointed with these Samco hoses for A4

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2001, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pretty disappointed with these Samco hoses for A4

The inner diameters of these hoses are awfully small for the application and I'm tired of fighting with them.

The small hose has a 19mm ID as does the small 3rd pipe on the tube that comes off the turbo.

The pieces that have to fit into these apertures have between 25 - 28mm OD.

No amount of coaxing on my part (with and without olive oil) has yielded any joy.

I'm about to throw the old stuff back in and go to a mechanic (which, as you may have inferred, I am not).

Anyone aware of a special tool or technique to coax silicone hoses to open by 1/3 of their original size?

Andy Blake
Old 03-10-2001, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are you sure they are "REAL" Samco hoses??

Tap was selling hoses with an "SS" logo on them. Silicone hoses and in the general shape intended for the A4.

Real Samco hoses have the word "SAMCO" on them.

I know, I got the TAP "SS" hose...they work for me so I didn't need to return them. Yes they wer a bit tight and just a little struggle but I did get them on and properly clamped. Better too tight than too losse, you don't want a hose blowing at 15 psi shifting from 4th to 5th doing 80mph hard on the throttle 75 miles south of Atlanta .......don't ask me how I know

Jeff Davison
Old 03-10-2001, 05:28 PM

Yeah, these are the real McCoy - I posted a pic in a post below the other day.
Old 03-11-2001, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Send them back if they dont fit...I did a full kit on my A4 1.8 w/ no fitting problems..minor lengh

trimming
Old 03-11-2001, 10:33 AM

What about the Forge BPV, how was the install & do you notice a increase in performance?
Old 03-11-2001, 10:53 AM

Default I wouldn't say there was a drastic change in performance . . .

It does feel like it has a little more 'oomph' when it upshifts.

This car has a tiptronic, so I expect there is less of a boost leak between gears since you don't really lift.

I've been taking it kinda easy 'cause I still want to replace the vacuum line from the BPV to the intake manifold. The stock one didn't fit on the little nipple very well and there was no clamp (another $3 clamp kit to get 2 minis).

I did have a good run on the way back from the Delta Sonic fending off a 1.8T Jetta

Andy Blake

98.5 A4 1.8TQTip - LLTek induction, Borla exhaust, MTM Stage 2 (1.1 bar) chip, Forge BPV, GIAC Tip Chip, Eibach Pro Kit springs, Sport stock shocks front, Bilstein rear, E-code headlights, AutoMeter boost gauge, V-1, Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-02 snow tires, 15" steel wheels.
Old 03-11-2001, 11:06 AM

Default The install of the BPV would not have been bad if . . .

I hadn't had to get the hoses off the turbo and the return and then screw around for over an hour trying to get the new hoses onto the BPV and a corner tube. It's pretty tight working up in there (on your back with only one hand able to get up to the clamps).

Only dropped the 1/4" drive ratchet on my face once

A BPV upgrade alone would have been a lot easier since it sits down where things are easily accessed.

When I aborted my hose upgrade, the whole thing went back together quick and left time to go out for some beer and pool.

Andy Blake

98.5 A4 1.8TQTip - LLTek induction, Borla exhaust, MTM Stage 2 (1.1 bar) chip, Forge BPV, GIAC Tip Chip, Eibach Pro Kit springs, Sport stock shocks front, Bilstein rear, E-code headlights, AutoMeter boost gauge, V-1, Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-02 snow tires, 15" steel wheels.
Old 03-11-2001, 11:17 AM

I sent a note to SamcoSport asking wtf was up. I'll see what they say.
Old 03-11-2001, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default andy, i read your sig and i was wondering if there was a reason you went with the stock sport...

shocks up front, and bilsteins in the rears?
Old 03-11-2001, 11:48 AM

Default Original reason: front Bilsteins were backordered for months (early last Summer)

I needed something right away and found these slightly used (my car originally had non-sport suspension).

I've since learned that some people prefer a softer front shock to help turn in at Autocross, so I left them - I need every advantage I can get since I'm giving up lots of 1/10s with the tip.

The ride, handling, and turning performance are really nice on this car. Planning to get Neuspeed sway bars soon to encourage some oversteer.

Andy Blake

Quick Reply: Pretty disappointed with these Samco hoses for A4