Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Programmable Engine Managment Installed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmable Engine Managment Installed.

My turbocharged 2.8l 12v '94 90 is currently recovering from a long weekend of surgery. After 25 hours of work in an unheated garage (Oc) I have successfully installed Electromotive's Tec-II in my car. The Tec can handle fueling, ignition, boost, knock sensor and a list of other aspects of engine management. Installation included swapping injectors to 550cc ones, making a fuel injector wiring harness, sensors to be installed, spark plug wires to be cut and terminated, mounting bracket for the unit, and a million other little details. The few parts I was unable to do myself, I had done by a local performance shop. Including mounting a toothed wheel on the crank pulley, and ensuring it was centered to spec, fabricating an aluminum mount for the magnetic sensor, and adding an extra 02 sensor in the downpipe.

To minimize variables the ignition portion of the Tec was setup first, and run with my existing fueling (a combination of stock injectors and two 550cc injectors at the throttle body). The car started on the first turn of the key, a quick test drive showed that my initial guesses at an ignition map were adequate and of course conservative compared to the stock ignition. With a safe ignition map, it was on to the fueling. After finishing the installation and ensuring there were no fuel leaks, it was time to start the car. Of course, since my initial injector times to make a basic fuel curve are nothing more that educated guesses, it took a few attempts to get the car running. Right away it was clear from the dark clouds of unburnt fuel the car was running way rich, all attempts to lean it out were unsuccessful, and the car barely ran. Eventually I realized that I had not zeroed out the default coolant enrichments, which were way to aggressive, having fixed that I was able to achieve something that resembled an idle. The idle is very difficult to get perfect, and I am still trying hard to get stable idle. After, a few WOT runs were completed and datalogged. Runs to 6000 rpm, and only 4psi of boost showed that I had adequate fueling under load. The runs were with 02 feedback enabled across the entire rev range (closed loop). AF ratios of 13:1 were seen under boost, Egts of 1200F, and an 02 correction of around -10% revealed that my initial numbers were close to what I wanted but again as intended slightly on the conservative side. So at the moment I have a safe and functional map that needs lots of fine-tuning for both drivability and performance. I look forward to seeing over the next few weeks what type of gains I will see with properly tuned setup
Old 03-28-2001, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's really cool Rob! I like it when people get in and figure it out themselves.
Old 03-28-2001, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pretty cool. Can we get some pics of this setup?

I'd really like to see what you have done.
Old 03-28-2001, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I will see if I can borrow a digital camera in a few days