Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Question for those with experience Building a 1.8 Motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those with experience Building a 1.8 Motor

Does the stock motor have a forged crank?

Where do you go to get pistons and rods?

What mods can you do to the five valve head?

Where do you get a different cam?

Are there mod recipes that are known to respond to a particular chip? ie this set of pistons and rods with this cam and this cut on the valves works well with this chip??

Thanks in advance for your help. I am thinking about a slow project to build a tweaked motor in the 250hp range. I have build lots of Porsche motors but never an Audi motor.
Old 04-07-2002, 03:18 PM
CMH

Default You wont need most of those parts to make 250 hp.

The stock motor is good for almost 400 hp if not more. No the stock motor does not come with a forged crank but you can find parts like that at ECS or Eurosportspec. Right now I have a guy that is doing a flow tested 5v head for my car and we are looking at doing some test of the larger cams to see what combo works best.
Old 04-07-2002, 05:24 PM

Default Re: You wont need most of those parts to make 250 hp.

Do you have a pointer for Eurosportspec or ECS?

I ran a search on Eurosportspec and came up empty handed.

Where are you getting your cams at?

Are you trying different cuts on the valves to improve performance?
Old 04-07-2002, 09:47 PM
CMH

Default The guys that are working on my car and that are having the head work done for me will be

getting the cams for me so I can test them. Here is the web site for Eurospecsport. Sorry I miss spelled it the first time.<ul><li><a href="http://www.eurospecsport.com/">http://www.eurospecsport.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 04-08-2002, 02:27 AM

Default =) Some advice,...

No the stock motor has cast iron cranks I believe, but I think the OEM Euro A4 1.8t's have a forged crank (according to Dahlback). But the 1.8T engine is designed from a diesel engine and if you take apart the motor,... you'll notice the overkill-beefy parts. I've run the A4 with around 375-425hp and I've had no problems,... yes, with stock internals except for cams. I never had a problem with it,... and I do run it hard! =P

For aftermarket pistons and cams,... you'll probably have to ask Dahlback. JE pistons are very reputable and they can build you something custom. That's what I'm going for.

I hear Eagle rods are cheap but quality suffers along with that. Paulter connecting rods are strong, but a little on the heavier side. I ended up going for those,... but I was also thinking about Crower rods, but I hear they're not so pleasent to deal with.

Cams? Shrick has some and Dahlback,... don't know where else, but you can get a custome set made at a few places,... always a good option.

Don't bother with a specific chip,... you'll need to go custom if you want everything to work at optimum. I'm personally going for a stand-alone EMS. I had a boost & fuel controller with my last set-up & also a large MAF,... it's all for sale if you're interested. OH,... and also the GIAC custom tuned "chip" and ECU meant for 550cc injectors, 3" straight through exhaust, T3/T4 turbo, boost and fuel aftermarket controllers,... no rev limiter,... it's for sale if you want it. You won't have to wait for Garrett to custom make you one if this is approximately what you wanted.

For 250hp,... I don't think you'll need to waste money on cranks,con rods, pistons, or any other internals,... even cams,... you'll be amazed at what's out there already - PES & APR have a few kits that might be right for you! =) Cheers!
Old 04-08-2002, 02:30 AM

Default Hey Mike,... when's your ride going to be finished???

=) Mid-april is coming and I'm almost ready. Everything except the stand-alone EMS and flywheel&clutch will be done on between the 12th and 15th of this month,... I opted not to go with a tranny upgrade,... too much uncertainty and potential problems,... I just have to be "nice" to the OEM A4 one,... what are you doing about the tranny??? And how's everything coming along? Do you know if Lucus in Australia is up to anything new??? Cheers!
Old 04-08-2002, 07:50 AM
4kq

Default Diesel? Where did you hear that?

This is a box-standard antique gasoline Audi short-length cast-iron block, with a 5-v developed from the Talladega program.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:30 AM
CMH

Default My car should be done this week I hope. I am just putting in new rings and our new

20 lbs flywheel and the stage 3 clutch. I will be testing that to see how it works. It is designed to work with both the dbw and non dbw cars. I wont be doing the fully built 2.0 motor till summer but the shop is done with it already. We just want to see how fast I can make this stock motor go with the PES T28 kit. I should not have problem running 12's with it. I also want to see how close to 400 hp I can get with it.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The original VW 1.8 4 cyl was a diesel
Old 04-08-2002, 09:14 AM
CMH

But when was that and did the same company build motors for VW and Audi at that time.

Quick Reply: Question for those with experience Building a 1.8 Motor