Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Road test of the STaSIS Engineering VM2 Koni coil-over suspension:

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road test of the STaSIS Engineering VM2 Koni coil-over suspension:

<b><u>CONCLUSION:</u>
<i>The STaSIS VM2 coil-over suspension for the Audi S4 is superior to <u>any</u> other suspension that I've ridden in/driven in an Audi S4.</i></b>

<b>How did I reach this conclusion? Read on:</b>

<b><u>Facts:</u></b>
I recently replaced my S4's MTM Full suspension with the <b>STaSIS VM2 coil-overs (spring rates 600 front/700 rear)</b>, because of the increased track-use of my S4. I have just completed one week (1,500+ miles) of driving with the STaSIS Engineering Koni Coil-over suspension <i><b>(née, Vortrag coil-overs)</b></i>. <i>This included highway miles (I-5 and I-80 between Los Angeles/Bay Area/Sacramento; rutted/windy interstate (I-80, Sacramento/Reno); and windy mountain highway (NV 341, Reno-to-Virginia City)</i>.

<b><u>Opinions and Experiences:</u></b>
Here's what I can say about the STaSIS coil-over suspension.

o The Hyperco 600# front/700# rear linear spring rates seem no harsher in general than the MTM Full suspension.

o I hear Botts dots/road lane reflectors as I drive over them, but I feel less from them through this suspension. Road feel is intensified, but not to the point of being a distraction.

o Body lean in street driving situations is essentially 'gone'.

o Fore/aft 'porpoising' on decel/accel is gone.

o I cannot make the car understeer, regardless of how abrubt the turn-in.

o The front tires no longer 'squeal' under power.

o Throttle steering is now a snap (figuratively only-it is very controllable) during turn-in and tracking out, and the car readily accepts changes in throttle application.

The installation was performed at STaSIS Engineering in Los Gatos, CA (just outside San Jose). The suspension was installed, the front/rear alignment set, and corner-balancing was performed. The entire installation experience was flawless.

While I was there, I saw the <b>#'77' STaSIS Audi 2.8 Quattro</b> that Paul Lambert campaigns in the SpeedVison/Speed channel World Challenge, numerous <b>Koni</b>- and <b>Ohlins</b>- suspension and the <b>Alcon brake</b> projects currently underway at STaSIS.

Kudos to Paul Lambert, STaSIS owner and driver of the World Challenge Audi 2.8 Quattro. Paul gave me a quick tour of the facility and an brief overview of several of his projects, including his recent positive experiences with the <b>MoTeC</b> factory re:data acquisition and analysis.

The most interesting to me, since I was there to purchase a suspension, was Paul Lambert's explanation of the STaSIS 'VM2' coil-overs. The <u>Readers</u> <u>Digest</u> explanation is, STaSIS took over the Vortrag suspension project, examined it, refined it, developed it, improved it and now markets it. There is an A4 version available now, too.

I can't wait for the next track day!

<a href="http://www.stasisengineering.com/products.htm"> STaSIS Products</a> <b>Contact STaSIS for more information - (888) 978-2747</b>
Old 03-03-2002, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some q's..

"I cannot make the car understeer, regardless of how abrubt the turn-in."

Is that only in the dry? How does the car handle in the rain, in the banks on the street or track? Does it push first in the turns?

I ask b/c I have vortrag's 450/500 kit in my A4. I'd like a little more accessible oversteer w/o really have to ask for it. My car will push in the rain whenever I go in too hot. Some under steer is good imho, but not too much, for me. My tire press (18" wheels) was 34F/40R so I don't have a big margin to play with. In the dry the car will slide and go into a normal 4-wheel drift (equivalent slip angles?) and only oversteer while totally off the throttle but it's too easy to correct. I really have to throw the car in order to get it sideways for a few seconds. Maybe an eqivalent 100lbs between the F&R will do it. Congrats, I know you're happy w/ the suspension :-) Apples and oranges in comparison to other set-ups. If you've had some wet weather experience or plan to, please share!
Old 03-03-2002, 02:57 PM

now the just need an A4 1.8t application
Old 03-03-2002, 06:31 PM

They have one.. Just with different rates.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:43 PM

Default is it new?

i havent heard of anyone running them........
Old 03-03-2002, 09:56 PM

Default It's been out for a while..

Probably too expensive for most people's needs.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:35 AM

got a link or some info
Old 03-04-2002, 08:48 AM

Default Re: got a link or some info :)

<ul><li><a href="http://www.stasisengineering.com">http://www.stasisengineering.com</a</li></ul>
Old 03-04-2002, 08:57 AM

Default you da man!

thanks
Old 03-04-2002, 10:09 AM

Default Answers:

No rain experience yet. Fantastic in banked turns. There is absolutely NO UNDERSTEER (pushing) in the dry. I'll let you know about in the wet.

Call Paul at STaSIS re: you specific application. I'm sure he'll help you dial it in!

Quick Reply: Road test of the STaSIS Engineering VM2 Koni coil-over suspension: