Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

RS4 kiss my Ass!!!! Interesting Dyno Day and Real Facts.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2001, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 kiss my ***!!!! Interesting Dyno Day and Real Facts.

Well we had our Dyno day with our local Audi Club.
Very Interest set of results.
We used a Dynomatic Test Systems 4WD Dyno model 9500.
This is a State of the Art Dyno, that also accurately measure Transmission Loss.
For you Information the Quattro system looses about 25Hp at 60mph.
Further Losses wear also calcualted on say a 180Hp A4, besides the quattro loss of 25HP, other losses totaling 13Hp was attributed to Alternator, water pump and other ancillitory items.
Power Split in a A4 quattro was measured at 52% rear, 48% front whilst running on the Dyno.
So a 180Hp A4, dynoed at 142HP at wheels..
A GIAC chip was installed and netted 22HP gain at Wheels, Taking Gross HP at flywheel to 202HP, a very clear and positive result..
I decided to run my Car on the Dyno with a new set of injectors a first beta test Software for the Injectors, now I must mention and stress this software was only a first sample test and there are some fueling maps that have to be corrected as it was running way rich wich reduced my power out put, as well for some reason my boost was not holding above 5500 rpm.
My Peak HP grossed at 326HP at 4888rpm, then the boost started to drop down. Torque was good considering the rich condition and falling boost, I still Manageg to get 15Ftlb More torque the RS4 was able to get. Infact I was producing More Power up to 5500 rpm than a RS4!!!! The RS4 only started exceeding my peak HP from 6000rpm upwards!!!
In a Drag Race, i would put money on my car taking the RS4! even with this beta version chip and boost loss...
Once my software is completed a final figure 350-360HP is attainable on around 22psi of boost.
Here is another real world Fact.
A 225HP TT Wett chipped only Vs a MTM Chipped S3 with MTM Hiflo Exhaust.
Advertising from the respective Vendors Claim 250HP and 265HP for the MTM complete kit with exhaust.
Final result was Wett chip only 243HP and MTM kit was 242HP!! Both cars were both checked for any DTC before and after dyno, non were presant..
So what does a aftermarket Exhaust system do for performance to the 1.8T engine assuming both MTM and Wett chips are similar? Not much in my books!
The wett chip also produced power slightly earlier on than the MTM, thus torque was higher with Wett and bother boost levels were the same..
Very Interesting Results...
Old 05-19-2001, 05:07 AM

I'd still rather have the RS4.
Old 05-19-2001, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pretty cool....

When I get myself a 1.8 Lucas I plan on doing a Stage IV conversion intro a track only A4. Very cool.
Old 05-19-2001, 07:16 AM
Elder Member

Default I'll take the RS4

The RS4 never made more than 350ft-lbs of torque? Hmm. All the S4 chip tuners claim about 360ft-lbs and they don't even have K04s in those cars.

I'm not surprised in any way that tuner cars don't match up to the stated numbers. They are under heavy pressure to sell their components. High numbers sell chips and most customers have no way to verify the numbers.
Old 05-19-2001, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the info. What was the power loss/split on the Haldex via TT please.
Old 05-19-2001, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What was the measured peak HP and torque of the RS4? You added the driveline losses to measure

your peak HP right... Very impressive from just a 1.8t to say the least! Your car is one sick A4 )

Additionally, I do not think that comparing 2 chips in different cars (TT & S3) is a fair comparison and I would not conclude that an exhaust does not add any HP. At least in the S4, with the addition of downpipes, HF-Cats, and cat back exhaust there was an additional 20+HP to the wheels (Max Power/June).. Just my $.02

John - 00S4 with mods
Old 05-19-2001, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Will get back to you on it.

If I remember right, it was a little more FWD and loss about the same..
But will post it later..
Old 05-19-2001, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: What was the measured peak HP and torque of the RS4? You added the driveline losses to measure

I was refering to S3/TT, both are K-04 1.8T engines.
My theory is once chipped, the Turbo is maxed out in that setup, addition of exhaust i can's see any significant HP can be made.
To make more HP you have to Burn more Air/Fuel.
If you can't supply the engine any more via turbo being limited flow, how can a exhaust add more HP?? The exhaust may make some extra HP to a non-chipped car, but i would dispute any claims of more HP above and beyond what a Turbo can actually Flow..
Old 05-19-2001, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default So get one..

Audi stated Spec on RS4 is 440nm, which is 325.5 Ft/lbs.
So how can it show more than 350Ftlb with out further mods?
Most Tuners figured are estimated guesses, do not publish a real graph but a doctered one, a lot of tuners wouldn't even know the difference between Gross & Net HP, and they call them selves Tuners..
And there are even tricks to producing high figures on dynos.
I would like a RS4, but I can afford one, sells here for equivalent of US$88K. So why dream or make statement about something that wont happen.
At that Price tag, there are a lot of other cars i would rather look at.

Say It, Do It.
Old 05-19-2001, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Lucas, try normalizing or adjusting the power and torque numbers for a standard atmosphere...

and see how close you get to the factory figures. I suspect the factory power and torque figures are based on a standard day or atmospheric conditions. A standard atmosphere is defined as Air Temp = 59°F, Air Pressure = 14.7psia, Air Density = 0.002377 Slugs/ft3 .

You have very interesting results. I got a nice, measurable performance gain from my aftermarket exhaust. There must be other limiting factors in play here.
Emil

Quick Reply: RS4 kiss my Ass!!!! Interesting Dyno Day and Real Facts.