Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

S4 Brake Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 Brake Questions...

Ok, so one day on the track fried my stock rotors....knew that might happen so no big deal...now on to the fun part....brake upgrades. :-)

Here are the options I'm can think of...

1) replace all the rotors with higher quality stock-sized rotors with high performance pads. I did this on my A4 Avant and it worked really well. But, now that Turbo5 is shut down for a while (Turbo5 sold Alcon rotors), who else sells stock-size replacement rotors? I'd want Alcon, Brembo, or Coleman quality stuff.

2) replace the front calipers keeping the stock rotors. A caliper upgrade is definitely something to consider, but I'm not sure that will help me. Won't I still warp the stock rotors on the track? I think so, so this is probably a no-go. If this IS a valid option, then the BIRA system seems reasonable.

3) replace the front rotors and calipers. There are a couple of kits worth considering:
StopTech, Torax(sp?), Alcon, etc. Each has it's own advantages and price. In this case, I'd add high performance pads on the rear, but leave everything else stock back there. Oh, and I'd change to stainless-steel lines all the way around if I did this too.

Questions, questions, questions.....the life of an S4 owner. :-) Any comments from those that have gone through this already?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 03-08-2001, 07:35 AM

Default You can get Turbo5 brakes at EVO Motorsports

<ul><li><a href="http://www.evomotorsports.com">http://www.evomotorsports.com</a</li></ul>
Old 03-08-2001, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: S4 Brake Questions...

Me personally, I like the idea of going with StopTech brakes. There are two companies that sell them that I can think of. That just seems like such a good deal compared to some of the other brake kits out there. Terox is another kit that is priced pretty well if you get a GB going. I think that one was like 2100 bucks or something, which isn't a bad deal cause it probably works good AND....LOOKS GOOD! Hey, now that's a nice concept-j/k.

I think it would be wise to just go with a front brake upgrade because I've heard that if you upgrade the rear that you get a little locking up over small bumps and things. You do most of your braking with the front, as you know, so your idea with leaving the rears pretty much the same is a good one IMO.