Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Shifter broke? PLEASE HELP. Two and a half hours away from home.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter broke? PLEASE HELP. Two and a half hours away from home.

Alright... it's happened. I was ALMOST THERE! I almost made it... I'm pulling into a parking spot and I see I'm not going to make it so I throw it in reverse and start letting off the clutch and giving it gas when I notice that the car is inching forward. So I brush it off thinking I put it in forth and try again. Same thing. I jiggle the shifter and it feels a little odd so I make a third failed attempt. I try putting it in first and pulling away, but it feels like I have it in fourth still. Now my shifter feels very loose and the only gear it seems to want to go into is fourth. I can have the shift in the first gear position and it still feels like fourth. Now when I put the shifter in the neutral position and let off the clutch it doesn't do anything so the clutch itself has to be fine. At this point I have no idea and I'm stuck two and a half hours away from home for the weekend. I'm hoping there's some sort of hack shop around here to help me. If anyone has any clue I might be able to speed up the process by telling whoever looks at it what MAY be the problem. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

busted linkage possibly, also open the center to check da ball
Old 09-29-2002, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Shifter broke? PLEASE HELP. Two and a half hours away from home.

Well get this... I find this guy who has a low key shop out in the boones of Dekalb. I got it towed to his shop on Saturday morning and I was really lucky I got it there when I did cause he was about to leave for the day. So he asked me to sit in the car as he hoisted up the car. He told me to move the shifter around and after a little while he found the problem. I guess the rod from the shifter slips into or on to another shafter and they're held together by two bolts. I was able to get a look myself so I'm just going over what he said to me. So he made sure the shifter rod was centered, tightened the bolt down and I was on my way. I couldn't thank him enough. The guy was a life saver. If you're ever out in DeKalb and you have a general problem of any kind with a car I would recommend looking this guy up. The name of his shop is something like... Mike's South Town Auto or just South Town Auto. Ask information and they'll be able to tell you. Ask for Mike. Thanks everyone for your replies.