Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

So I'm installing my new Forge BPV...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2001, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm installing my new Forge BPV...

...and everything is going fine. I've got the car up on stands, the clamps are off and the Forge valve is sliding onto the hoses with ease (a little oil works wonders) when I feel a problem on the back side of the high-pressure hose. It has a small split that opened up and rendered the hose unusable. After a few choice words I pulled the hose out and took a closer look. It seems that the hose was splitting from the inside (see the pics) and when I slid the Forge valve into the opening it was enough to finish opening up the split to the outside.

This is the same hose that split last summer while I was at Thunderhill. The split is on the same section of the hose but on the opposite side. I guess I should consider myself fortunate that I discovered this now rather than having the hose blow next week at Laguna Seca! Cost to replace the hose: $87 plus $10 for overnight delivery from LA. Grrrr...

Has anyone else had problems with this hose? I'm running an APR 1.0 bar chip but it seems more likely that the hose is poorly designed.

<a href=http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/822/split001.jpg>Picture One</a>
<a href=http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/822/split002.jpg>Picture Two</a>
<a href=http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/822/split003.jpg>Picture Three</a> (Lightened in PhotoShop to show the split better)

As an aside, my factory BPV was installed as shown in this <a href=https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/a4/msgs/349320.phtml>diagram</a> which most people seem to consider the proper orientation. Hmmm...

Sean..
Old 02-23-2001, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sean...don't use oil on those hoses...use dishwashing liquid

I am not joking. Your hose issue sounds weird to me...make sure you check to see that it is not even slightly twisted when you put in the next one. Good you found it now. :-)
Old 02-23-2001, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sean maybe it's high time to take a look at the Samco hoses?

I dunno how much the kit is...but at 100 for the OE part delivered you might be able to spend 2 or 3 times and much and do all your hoses...just a though.

BTW - Love that Hibiscus...I almost went that way...but I'm weak and got silver again...

Regards,

James R.

2001 A4 1.8TQMSXP (StopTech A4 Brake System, StopTech SS Front - AWE SS Rear Lines, Oettinger Pedal Set + Dead, Oettinger RE's 17x8, Yoko AVS Sports 225/45/R17, European Xenon Housings, Bailey BPV & RS4 Grill)
Old 02-23-2001, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Sean...don't use oil on those hoses...use dishwashing liquid

There really isn't a way to "twist" this hose since it is a fairly solid molded piece and it only goes on one way dictated by the position of the turbo and the connection that heads off to the intercooler.

Why not oil? I'm only talking about a tiny bit to help it slide on and oil is found inside this hose anyway. I don't think there is a risk of the BPV "blowing" off the hose connections given that the ends of the BPV have raised lips that prevent the clamp from sliding off once it is tightened down. I could've sworn I had read where others had used oil. I could be totally off base.

Sean..
Old 02-23-2001, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yeah, I've thought about that...

I really need to go with an aftermarket hose for this but I need the part right now so I'll look at replacing all of them later.

Thanks for the comment on the hibiscus. I love it and it isn't very common. I need to update my signature pic with a new shot showing the 18" R-25's that are on the car.

Sean..
Old 02-23-2001, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Yeah, I've thought about that...

So could you actually hear that crack under boost?

Yeah I really like the Hibiscus...it's a very deep finish when you get it all cleaned up waxed / glazed etc...silver has very little depth...but it's rewarding in other ways.

Ronal R-25? that's an uncommon wheel to say the least...

Regards,

James R.

2001 A4 1.8TQMSXP (StopTech A4 Brake System, StopTech SS Front - AWE SS Rear Lines, Oettinger Pedal Set + Dead, Oettinger RE's 17x8, Yoko AVS Sports 225/45/R17, European Xenon Housings, Bailey BPV & RS4 Grill)
Old 02-23-2001, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You know what I used...SPIT...I kid you not...worked like a charm, but to each his own ;-)
Old 02-24-2001, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Real mechanics use spit...I was just trying to stay aware from sounding gross :-)
Old 02-24-2001, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Yeah, I've thought about that...

Is there any way to just sorta "bandage" up the split? I know it sounds cheap, but not literally "bandage", just repair it so it is drivable and will last you long enough for your samco hoses to arrive. If you order them like next day, then they'll probably arrive in a ~2-3 days.

If your car is still under warranty you could put the stock valve back in and take it up to the dealer and get it replaced for free.
Old 02-24-2001, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Gotta uphold your image ;-)

Quick Reply: So I'm installing my new Forge BPV...