Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

STaSIS Track Sport coilover install question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STaSIS Track Sport coilover install question

OK, this one is going to be pretty basic. I'm pretty sure that I can puzzle out removing and installing the existing strut/spring cartridge on the front of the car, but I have a question about STaSIS' directions.

The first step is to "remove nut and bolt that attach the ARB link to the front lower control arm..." First, I assume that "ARB" refers to the front anti-roll bar - true? Second, why remove it? It never occurred to me that it's in the way, but is it somehow blocking the bolt that's holding the strut to the front lower control arm?

Thanks..
Old 08-02-2003, 02:05 PM

Default Still curious about my question -- but discovered a big ol' pry bar works fine!

Install was smooth as butter thanks to the incredibly detailed STaSIS directions. It'll be fun trying to get the setup dialed in over the next 2 or 3 weeks. All the adjustments can be done on the car -- and for the front shock adjustment you don't even have to remove the wheels :-)
Old 08-02-2003, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont why it says that but its not in the way.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Elder Member

keep us posted. what rate did you get for the springs?
Old 08-03-2003, 07:27 PM

Default 500F/550R...and a 19mm Neuspeed anti-sway bar on order..

My initial impressions are positive. The ride is incredibly compliant on the street -- definitely a better ride than the H&R sport/Bilstein setup I put up with for almost 3 years. Over small bumps it's even a better ride than the OEM sport/Bilsteins I've been using lately; over rougher stuff like RR tracks it's not quite as composed as that setup.

Handling is tougher to comment on, one day of Boston traffic is about it so far! Big improvement, no doubt about that -- but I'm not even close on setup yet. Basically my ride-height is all messed up and I haven't had a chance to adjust it yet: I've got rubbing in the left-front, and **negative** rake if anything (rears lower than the front.)

On the important stuff, spring-rates and rebound settings, I'm still pretty much in the dark. STaSIS suggested not touching anything for a couple weeks before starting to tweak, so I'm resisting the urge :-) First impression is that I want more rebound damping. Second impression is I could have gone with higher spring rates. Contradictory?

Eventually I'll get around to an alignment and corner-balancing, but only after I get everything else closer. I don't think the alignment is too too bad.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:47 AM
Elder Member

ygm..
Old 08-04-2003, 06:57 AM
Former Vendor

It allows the front arms to droop about 1" more. Offers extra clearance.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default When I corner balanced my car..

with the stasis track sport in their default height configuration my corner balance was near perfect, only off by 20lbs or so with the driver in the car.

total weight with 3/4 tank of gas was 3260, corner distribution 49.2%/50.8%, front/rear 58%/42%.

I still haven't tried dorking with the rebound yet, car handles so near perfect I don't wanna dork it up just yet
Old 08-04-2003, 10:30 AM

Default Ok got it, that makes sense. That way you're not fighting the other side of the car (more)

...when you "encourage" the lower control arm to go even lower to remove the strut. I just pushed harder -- any reason this strategy would damage anything?

Thanks Mike,
Old 08-04-2003, 10:31 AM

Ahhh, that's a good story, I like hearing that! What rates and rebound settings?

Quick Reply: STaSIS Track Sport coilover install question