Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Tarox brakes got to go. Need advice on replacements

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tarox brakes got to go. Need advice on replacements

Ok. Read the recent brake flames, trolled the archives.

My Tarox have never really been rid of the stupid resonance sound when hot, and I'm sick of hearing it. Others have the same problem with this kit. None of the obvious fixes worked. Tony @ PES has dropped them - his set makes the same sound. I reccomend you don't buy them. They stop fine, great even, they just have a stupid sound that says - you bought the wrong kit fool, try again.

So. It's an A4 2.8Q, tip, PES G2 SC, H & R "sport" coilovers, 17" wheels. Although the new baby has kept me from it, I like to auto-x and do some Group 1 newbie track stuff with the car. I don't mind the overkill of the big kits (hey look what the Tarox are and what they cost...).

Based on why you have on *your* car (not what you've heard) what would you reccomend:

A BIRA Porsche upgrade?
A set of street Alcon or Brembo?
Those new Stoptechs?
An AP Racing "street" kit (soon to be sold by PES I hear, in place of Tarox)
Something else?

TIA!

-Zain
Old 05-29-2001, 09:35 PM
Elder Member

Default I have had my AP Racing brakes for almost a year . . .

They work great. I don't see any advantage to the Stoptechs. I installed a set on a friends TT this weekend. They work great, but don't see any difference with my AP's.

We will be doing some comparisons very soon on braking improvements to see what each kit does.
Old 05-30-2001, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Tarox brakes got to go. Need advice on replacements

Sorry, but I always thought the TAROX were junk. Terrible rep. I run Alcons, but I have to tall ya, they are a pain for the street. To fend off the rattling of the pads inside the calipers, you need to get the optional push-back springs, which in turn make it Hell to change pads--my shop actually disassembles the rotors every time I go and come back from the track.

Brembos or a copy (you can figure this out by comparing some of the knockoffs) would be the way to go for a street system, with my strong preference for Brembos--cheap and reliable.

APs are great--for the track. And they are very expensive. Your call...

Lee in D.C.
Old 05-30-2001, 09:07 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto here.
Old 05-30-2001, 12:28 PM

Default So. You'd categorize AP, Alcon & Tarox as really more "track only?"

When you say AP racing is "great for the track" should I assume, "not so for the street?"

Which means I should categorize the following kits as "track only - otherwise really annoying sounds and such on the street"

Tarox (because, the nosie aside, they do work great. Just really annoying)
Alcon (without all the extra work you describe to avoid rattling pads - noise)
AP racing ('cause you said "for the track")

Just to be sure I'm hearing. I do appreciate the blunt categorizations, helps narrow my choices quickly!

-Zain
Old 05-30-2001, 12:33 PM

Default AP = Stoptech comment. And general questions about the AP you have

So. You'd say AP and stoptech are performing similarly. Thus, I'd go with one or the other on the basis of cost, looks, vendor service, etc. But you would not dis-reccomend Stoptech because they were no better than AP. Right?

Pending the data you're about to gather, which I'm sure many would be happy to ready about

Also, how are those AP brakes in day-today life? Quiet enough? Easy enough to change pads and such?

TIA!

-Zain
Old 05-30-2001, 01:03 PM
Elder Member

Default answers . . .

I just changed the pads 2 weeks ago. Very simple to swap out. The same as any other good aftermarket caliper to swap out. It has a single retaining screw rod, the Stoptech has two. That is the basic difference as far as swapping pads.

I love the AP's on a daily basis! I could not stand the stock TT brakes, to me they were the worst part of the entire car!

At this point I don't know enough about Stoptechs to say anything good or bad about them. I don't see any reason NOT to get them.

The only thing I would recommend is to get slotted rotors over drilled rotors. But that is me.

The Stoptechs seem to be very well made. The weight of the caliper seems to be about what the AP was, the rotor was about the same weight as well. Either setup will lighten the front corners of your car by 10-15#'s each!
Old 05-30-2001, 01:07 PM
Elder Member

Default Zain, nothing wrong with any of them on the street.

I don't have any noises coming from my AP's at all! Over 15,000 miles on them without a problem.
Old 05-30-2001, 01:56 PM

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2001, 01:57 PM
Elder Member

anytime

Quick Reply: Tarox brakes got to go. Need advice on replacements