Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

It turns out my rotor (Coleman 330mm slotted) was rubbing on my caliper (AP Racing 4-pot)...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 06:56 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It turns out my rotor (Coleman 330mm slotted) was rubbing on my caliper (AP Racing 4-pot)...

...so I added a shim to the caliper mounting bracket, and hopefully it doesn't do it again. I'm a little confused why it would start doing this. While I did put new rotors on (kept the existing hats), I wouldn't have thought they would have varied in size/fitment by more than about 0.25mm, which shouldn't have caused rubbing. The new rotor was about 1mm thicker than the old, worn down rotor though. Could the caliper bracket have flexed/bent enough over the life of the last rotor that it would be that far out of alignment when putting a non-worn down rotor on?
Old 09-09-2001, 08:07 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default I heard the rubbing noise again, even after adding the shim...

...the shim should have moved the caliper outward enough that the point there I could see a groove in the caliper from rotor contact would not make contact again, but it did not apparently. I wonder if it's rubbing in the same place or somewhere different? (it only does it when the brakes are warm and driving at slow speeds and not when the brakes are applied) The rotor comes its closest to the caliper on the bottom inboard side of the caliper, but I could not detect any physical signs of rubbing there. I wonder if I moved the caliper back away from the rotor with a shim if that would do something? I can't move the caliper vertically at all, nor can I move the caliper any further inboard to get that bottom part of the caliper further away from the rotor. Does anyone think I need a new rotor hat? Could I have tweaked these somehow when removing the old and attaching the new rotor to them (only one R&R so far on them)?
Old 09-24-2001, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Were did you get that kit?....

Did you get the rotor turned after you mounted them on the hats. Coleman rotors are a relitivy inexspensive part and sometimes after you tourqe the hats down it warps the rotors. Not a real big deal just try to have them turned to true them up. If your problem persits you may consider replacement, better safe than sorry. Another thing I've noticed is that after a couple of heat cycles they usually need to be turned again, like I said they are lower qaulity than some others on the market. Mine have worked good after getting them turned. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:10 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default KVR Performance...I'll look into turning the rotors...they still rub about twice/day...

...I may just put a couple more shims on there, moving the caliper further away (radially) from the rotor.