Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Urethane Bushings ...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urethane Bushings ...?

Has anyone done this yet?

It came up not to long ago, Just wondering if anyone has gotten a jump on it yet?

Mike ?

Scott?
Old 10-25-2001, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Urethane Bushings ...?

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/performance/msgs/37008.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/performance/msgs/37008.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 10-25-2001, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have a set on order, but probably won't get installed until December or January.

I've been looking at these for a while now, and the postings from a week ago finally made me pull the trigger and place my order.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I plan on installing some when I upgrade my shocks/springs...

and I'll probably put new lower control arms on at the same time. I'll do it when I have the money saved up for all the parts
Old 10-25-2001, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I've found the "New" factory bushings are better in the long run.

New factory bushings, will return the lost firmness your old bushings have lost.

Poly bushings make all sorts of noise! Make you think your front end is falling apart! Why most look for Delrin. They require constant lube to remain quite. Are effected by water, sand and dirt. They do offer a slight bit of stiffer control, but transfer these the stresses to other components.

For the "racer" sure.

For a "street" car, its just too much hassle for the return.
Old 10-25-2001, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My doubt was that...

The boots wouldnt fit on these. I think they are slightly thicker in size.

Good point about the stress being transfered to other components but how much more could it be?

And for the noise level, its nothng a can of LM High Tack couldnt take care of,IF the boots were to fit over them.
Old 10-26-2001, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Re: stress

Transferring of the stress, will cause other components in the suspension system to wear more quickly than they normally would.

This will also bring to the surface the weaker components of the system.

You may find the upper strut bearings, wheel bearings, ball joints, etc, wearing at an increased rate.

Larger, stickier tires, lowered stiffer suspensions, all effect the suspension in ways
the engineers did not intend. Granted, most are designed well enough to handle these changes, but their are always 'weaker' components in every system!
Old 10-26-2001, 05:22 AM

Default sounds like AoA BS statement to me....

"Larger, stickier tires, lowered stiffer suspensions, all effect the suspension in ways
the engineers did not intend."

I read essentially the same thing in AoA memos, and in the latest quattro magazine. I find it interesting that I heard these comments in June '00 when I went to "larger, sticker tires" and "lowered stiffer suspensions", and in September at the quattro challenge from AoA reps because by January, Audi was offering the same springs in their accessories catalog and the same size and model tires in the "celebration package".

Certainly firmer bushings will transmit more "road" to the chassis. Beyond that, as far as I can tell it is all threats and speculation.
Old 10-26-2001, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Re: sounds like AoA BS statement to me....

Own your Audi for 13+ years, and see what happens to it after 5 years of good hard track sessions!
You tend to learn alot from those sessions!

The reason AOA is selling the stuff, is to get in on the market, and make more money!

Audi's own dealerships are confused as to exactly those mods effect warrenty! Even when installed by an Audi dealership!

Your 2001 A4 your first Audi?

How long you plan to keep it?

You install all your own mods?

Performing your own maintenance allows you to learn much more about your car! Even your 2001 A4
isnt "bullet proof" under track conditions!

How many times you run your A4 on the track?

Keep it long enough, and you'll see its not all BS after all. But you'll probably sell it once it starts giving you too many problems.
Old 10-26-2001, 01:34 PM

Default No BS dude

Bushings on our cars don't really rotate. They don't act like real "bushings". What's happening is the rubber will allow flex and that's how it acts like a joint. When you put Polyurethane bushings in, they'll flex less and put more stress on whatever is supporting it. The metal piece holding the front upper control arms are known to crack with aftermarket bushings. On cars later than 97 they switched from stamped steel to cast aluminum and they're even more prone to cracking.

Of course the problem is alleviated a bit if you run with super stiff suspension with a lot less travel than stock. Less travel will allow less flex on the bushings. I'm putting offcenter polyU bushings on my front upper arms to get more negative camber but I will "upgrade" to the earlier steel plate or change the aluminumm one every 2 years just to be safe.

Quick Reply: Urethane Bushings ...?