Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Well it's done no more mods after this past weekend! 8-) This time I mean it!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well it's done no more mods after this past weekend! 8-) This time I mean it!!

This weekend I finally had the opportunity to install my new APR exhaust and Hiflo cat, this setup replaced the stock cat and 2.25 Borla that I had. First off I'll cover the installation...WHAT A PAIN IN THE ****!!!!!!!! The new cat is a Random Tech offering, and they aren't kidding when they say RANDOM LOL, man-o-man getting that thing in without pulling the motor is a real treat. If you're looking at the turbo from the top side leaning over the passenger fender (like you're going to take it in the rear) there are two bolts you really can't get to...because of the pinch wends on the cat (who ever designed the cat needs to try and install the mother F'er too). Needless to say a lot of patience is needed, oh yeah and having a friend or two to join in the swearing is always a good idea...anyway we finally got everything all hooked up and secure.

Now for the part many are wondering about (or at least the folks who mailed me are wondering) performance...I can honestly say there is a definite increase. Also the turbo spools faster...something else of note the acceleration seams smoother, and I don't understand why that is? I mean I kind of figured with the turbo spooling quicker the acceleration would "hit" a little harder...but it doesn't. How can I describe it??? Hum...it's more linear, when you press the go pedal the boost moves smartly up to 16psi (on a K04 AWE Kit) and if you keep things planted boost will build to ~18-19psi it's like a smooth powerful V-6 I guess. You get pushed back into your seat and it'll keep you there until you let up, oh yeah there is another plus you can hear the turbo now more then ever 8-). Speaking of noise, man the APR system is nice...it's very quite inside the passenger cabin actually even when you get on it there is hardly any evidence of an high performance system on the car (other then the sound of the turbo spooling). This kind of worried me, just like most of you I too enjoy the "sounds" of performance...so I had my best friend do a couple of low speed passes under acceleration and one moderate speed pass. As he drove by me I was grinning ear to ear, boy dose my car sound good, no AWESOME!!! A nice deep rumble, and when he hit it a little you could hear a nice sweet turbo sound not too loud but people on the outside will defiantly know something is going on under the hood.

So I guess you could say all and all I'm extremely happy with both the APR exhaust and the Random cat (other then the install of the cat), the fit of the APR is perfect dead on and very easy per usual. As for numbers I don't have any and I haven't had my butt dyno calibrated in a long time LOL...seriously though there is a definite perceived power increase, that's my story and I'm sticking with it!! By the way, thanks John Bass (xr4tic) for selling me the 3 month old slightly used cat I love it 8-)
Old 04-01-2002, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's a lot easier to weld bolts in the holes on the cat...

...then you are only working from the bottom with an extension and a universal joint.

Mike O.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

that sounds like a great idea...one problem, I don't know how to weld :-)
Old 04-01-2002, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Then you have no right posting on the Perf board ;->
Old 04-01-2002, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Whooopiishhh :-D