Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

what is the best audi for off road racing....

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the best audi for off road racing....

Going to start to build a rally car and want to know the best audi to do so. I've seen the older ones in races but i dont know which ones are those. Can someone fill me in on the best one.

Info needed:

model, year, best place to buy one.. dont want ebay

thanks
Old 01-30-2003, 06:48 AM
D5

best: '85 Sport Quattro...... best obtainable: '90-91 Coupe Quattro
Old 01-30-2003, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: best: '85 Sport Quattro...... best obtainable: '90-91 Coupe Quattro

Don't forget the '84-87 4kq, cheaper than a CQ, and cheaper to fix...The '88-92 80/90 quattros are pretty cheap as well in both respects.

If you want turbo power, the '86-91 5ktq/200q's would work, although a bit large.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:27 AM
Elder Member

S1 or S2 ...hehehe
Old 01-30-2003, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the info fellas..time for me to look into it and see what is best
Old 01-30-2003, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: Thanks for the info fellas..time for me to look into it and see what is best

Don't forget, the lockable diffs of a 1st gen quattro are better in a rally situation than the torsen/locker of the 2nd gen cars.

Personally, if it were ME looking for a nice, reliable starter car, I'd pick a 4kq of any vintage, set it up with a good suspension, keep the factory engine and brakes, run it like that for a season or so. Then put in a 10vt from the 5ktq, different brakes. Then I'd eventually get a new IC and a chip for it.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:54 AM
No Bozos!

Default If

If you're just starting out in rallying, you don't need power, you need grip.

Combining a number of the responses here, a stock 4K or even a 90 would be fine.

Power is good, yes, but you gotta first finish.

Fusilier(John), Felix, and I all have rally cars. John has an A1, Felix an S2, and I have an oddball. It's a cross between an S1 and ?

Check out any posts by us, and you can browse our picture posts by clicking on the user id# at the top.

If you're looking to get into rallying, buy something already built. Let someone else have spent a fortune for all the prep work.

Ben's rally page had a bunch of Quattros right now. Check them out at the link below, and feel free to email any of us for questions. I've been rallying for um..., way too long, glad to help in any way.<ul><li><a href="http://www.bensrallypage.com/forsale/forsale.html">Ben's rally car's for sale.</a></li></ul>
Old 01-31-2003, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Diffs.

A fully locked center and rear diff provide nice consistent torque splits but doesn't necessarily equate to better. But its consistent and should be easy to learn on. That would essentially be 25% to each rear wheel and front is an open diff so it could toss its 50% from either the left or right tire depending upon which has grip. So its a 3WD system at the worse.

The torsen center with a quaife LSD rear would probably be very competitive since it would get the torque to the gravel better and would be doing it with a quick mechanical setup. I think this arrangement is definately better on high grip surfaces like asphalt. But on gravel the grips not there so the torsen eventually has to let something slip when the throttle is Wide open. Hopefully it throws the excess torque equally to the two wheels so as not to cause torque steer.

I think the WRC cars currently use a system of locking VC diffs so that torque split can be continually adjusted for varying conditions. But they run locked diffs as well so the slipping rear tires can throw gravel during drifts.

What one definately doesn't want is EDL or something that brakes the wheels. New Audis are no good for gravel. They have ABS something you don't want and they have EDL which will just eat up your brakes in no time.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Buy this..

<ul><li><a href="http://www.bensrallypage.com/forsale/rek_audi/rek_audi.htm">http://www.bensrallypage.com/forsale/rek_audi/rek_audi.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 01-31-2003, 04:22 PM
No Bozos!

Default I saw that was just posted

I talked to John about that car awhile ago, when I bought some new bearings from him.

He's come down in price, but it's still way too expensive for what it is.

Quick Reply: what is the best audi for off road racing....