Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Window Tint Info piece

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint Info piece

I just wanted to post a message regarding window tint for cars. I happen to be in this industry, and I was concerned about some misconceptions I have read on the list. First, window tint quality varies greatly, so be sure that you know what is being put on your car. There are two types of film essentially, dyed and metal. Dyed films are the least expensive, and they will fade. It does not matter what brand you use, a dyed film will fade (turn purple) over time. The time it takes depends on where you live, and the exposure that the car is put through. Metal films will not fade, and they usually have a lifetime warranty backing them. In my opinion, metal films are the only way to go. Second, any reputable shop that has a good installer will be able to do all windows on any Audi in one piece. A shop that tells you that they must 2 or 3 piece the back window is not using the latest installation techniques. Third, darker is not always better. Most reputable film company's product will stop 99% of the UV rays entering the window. This alone will stop about 40% of any fading/sun damage problem. This is true regardless if the film is very light (50%) or very dark (5%). As the film gets darker, you reject more heat and light, but a 5% film will not greatly outperform a 30-35% film. In my opinion, 30-35% is the best looking shade. It is just dark enough to look good, but does not give you that punk/drug dealer look. Finally, there are basically three good window tint companies in the auto side of the business. Llumar, Solar Gard, and Madico. I have noticed mention of 3M film, but they really do not rate highly with regard to auto film. They do make a nice film for the residential/commercial building market though. Of the above mentioned film companies, Llumar is the largest by far. They are a 100% American company, and they are the only company to complete the entire manufacturing process in-house. Most other film companies buy some of their film components from Llumar. In fact, most other film companies will admit that Llumar film is the premier brand. On a side note, Formula One film is essentially Llumar film as well. It is merely a different brand name made by the company and is equal in quality o Llumar. Llumar and Formula One films are a bit more expensive than the other films, but isn't your Audi worth it?

In my opinion, the Llumar ATR line of window film is the best out there for the money.

They also seem to have their film in the shops that are doing the best installs. I hope this was somewhat informative and not too boring. If you have any questions about window tint, please post me directly.

PJF
Old 11-20-2001, 08:52 AM

Default thanks

I had Llumar metal film installed on my car 3 years ago. It still looks perfect.

Rich
Old 11-20-2001, 09:08 AM
4kq

Wow! Performance tint, cool! WTF is this drivel?
Old 11-27-2001, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: thanks

"punk or drug dealer look from 5%" WTF is that speak for youself.