Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

x-post - Stage III Owners ... help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2001, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x-post - Stage III Owners ... help!

So I decided to start the Stage III upgrade tonight on my 2000 1.8T when we get into a bit of a snag ... how do you take off the 3 bolts and nuts that mount the cat to the downpipe?! It's been about 2 hours with a whole lot of combinations of wrenches, extensions, etc ... any help?
Old 01-31-2001, 11:25 PM

Default My experience....

Unfortunately, when I took off my downpipe some time ago, I found that the bolts were either threaded or bent. Now I'm thinking that Audi didn't screw these in, but rather shot them through, threads and all.

I did manage to get my bolts off, but only with the help of an impact gun (I'm sure your arm is getting sore by now). Two managed out okay, and one snapped in two pieces.

Anyhow, I would recommend soaking your bolts in WD-40 liberally, and if they don't budge, try an impact gun (hopefully you have one or have someone to loan one). Be sure to have some extra heat treated(?) bolts from a muffler shop if you have one nearby, and most of the time they give the bolts for free.

-Mike M.
APR Stage III on the staircase right now....
Old 02-01-2001, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Stage III on the staircase....

Fast Stairs! 8-)
I for example, have, fast as hell right in the middle of my office floor, damn missing parts!

Audi on!
Old 02-01-2001, 10:33 AM

APR said they would ship the hoses with your ECU when you send it in
Old 02-01-2001, 10:41 AM

Default Liquid Wrench

Soak them bolts in it! I then get a socket with a wobbler and a long extension on there from beneath the car. Beneath because the nuts on the top are welded to the cat. The bolts from underneath thread out.

I would use a long hand wrench instead of an impact wrench so you can smoothly apply enough force to either unthread the bolt of twist off the head. If you do twist off the head, that's okay. You don't need the cat anymore anyway.

Good luck,
Rich
Old 02-01-2001, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

there is an "Elbow joint" that needs to be cast still..... maybe 2 weeks.
Old 02-01-2001, 08:12 PM

Default Re: x-post - Stage III Owners ... help!

a 13mm universal socket and extention. Soak it down with WD40 for a few hours first. The bolt right above the axle shield is the most difficult to get to but if you take the wheel liner off you can get to it from teh wheel well.
Old 02-02-2001, 02:15 PM
SKS

Default Use a 6 point 13mm, and two 8" 3/8's drive extentions, one of them needs to be a wobble.

You can snake it up through from the bottom. The top bolts...a short box wrench and a lot of contortions.
Old 02-02-2001, 02:57 PM

Default Thanks everyone!

The bolts are out, but now there's this mount that attaches to the block and the turbo. Most likely for stability and reliability reasons, but is this going to interfere with the new turbo/mainfold assembly? Do I need to take this mount off or will this be reused? Thanks!
Old 02-02-2001, 04:28 PM

Default I think I remember that.

Yes, remove it from the block. I think it was an 8mm allen bolt. It took quite a bit of force to loosen but then came out.

Rich

Quick Reply: x-post - Stage III Owners ... help!