Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

2019 Q3 - OEM 20" Potenza Tires already worn out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by hastings01
So are they built to only last a single season? Slightly baffled as to why they'd give me tires with such little tread to start. Or do they just wear down slower?
Tall/deep treat blocks squirm around and bend/lean over during cornering. That's not "sporty"...hence why most summer/performance tires start off life with shorter tread blocks to increasing cornering performance and steering feel. You can see all-season tires have taller tread blocks. Sport tires also do not need deep tread blocks to grip/grab onto snow and mud, also negating the need for taller tread blocks. It's the way it is. There are many summer tires that only last a year or 10,000 miles, not uncommon. If you want 20" performance wheels thats the tires you get. You will see some brands are dialing back the "sportiness" of the tires they choose because customers seem to purchase (and yet are unaware) big trims with tires that have a very short life. There was a sticker on the glass of your Q3 when new that specifically states the tires have a short tire life.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a new set of the 20" Bridestone S005 available that came with my 2019 and have 100 mi use. Can deliver in Portland,Oregon and vicinity. I switched to Vredestien Quatrac Pro all season from Tire Rack since it made more sense for NW driving and didn't want dedicated snows.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Feldgary1953
I have a new set of the 20" Bridestone S005 available that came with my 2019 and have 100 mi use. Can deliver in Portland,Oregon and vicinity. I switched to Vredestien Quatrac Pro all season from Tire Rack since it made more sense for NW driving and didn't want dedicated snows.
I'm thinking of going with the Vredestein also when my 20's wear out. Your thoughts on the tire in general?

Are they a fairly quiet tire? That's a priority for me.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Vredesteins are talked about quite a bit in positive light over on Bimmerpost in the X-forum on that platform I partake in. I was going to try them on my X5 this summer but there was no stock anywhere for about 2 months when I was shopping. I ended up going with Nitto N555 G2's a love love love them, but they're not an AS tire.

Last fall I put a set of Cooper Zeon RS3 tires on my now destroyed '16 Q3 & loved them. WAY more quiet than the OEM Conti's, balanced perfectly, & were wearing very well before some asshat total'd out our car. Right now we plan on putting those on our '18 Q3 when the OEM Conti's get a bit more worn out.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

No need for summer tires here in SoCal. Can't figure out Audi's reasoning as the only option for the 20" rims. I need exactly what the Vredestein's provide at a very competitive price. Good wear, A/S, quiet competent ride.
I'll look at your other recommendations. Right now I have about 9300 miles on them and I figure 20K will be about max when they need replacement.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wireman bell
No need for summer tires here in SoCal.
Not understanding this statement. SoCal would seem to be one of the best places for Summer rubber as you should be able to run on summer tires all year in most of SoCal. Thinking that unless you like to go up in the mts snow skiing or have to drive the Cajon Pass for a commute why would what summer tires offer be a bad thing for you?
Old 08-20-2021, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Let me clarify. I should have said for me there's no need for summer tires. Tire wear sucks (240 rating), noisy on most roads in my opinion.

In my driving, whatever handling advantage there is, it's not a priority. Prefer to have an A/S tire for the freeway and pretty much where ever else I go.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We don't drive the Q3 or our other 2 vehicles all that much compared to most people and only have under 6k of use since 9/19 purchase but so far the noise is really not noticeable to me. I've been very happy with the Vredestein choice in all weather conditions and fortunately I found a local buyer on Craigslist for the S005's to use on an S4.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the Goodyears on my '19 and am completely happy with them! 11k miles and show no wear. Very quiet and respond well.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Feldgary1953
We don't drive the Q3 or our other 2 vehicles all that much compared to most people and only have under 6k of use since 9/19 purchase but so far the noise is really not noticeable to me. I've been very happy with the Vredestein choice in all weather conditions and fortunately I found a local buyer on Craigslist for the S005's to use on an S4.
I'm 90% sure it will be the Vredestein's when it's time to replace the summer tires. Quiet, good in the rain and a pretty good bargain per the reviews.

Thanks for your input and comments about them.

Quick Reply: 2019 Q3 - OEM 20" Potenza Tires already worn out?