Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

2020 Audi Q3 Stalls While Driving (Lemon ??)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2020 Audi Q3 Stalls While Driving (Lemon ??)

We are new to Audi. Had plenty of BMW's, Toyota, Tesla, and VW. Decided to upgrade our VW Jetta for the Q3. Purchased it at the Paramus NJ dealer on Rt 4. Car was what we expected for about a week, then it started to stall while driving (no, the auto stop/start was NOT enabled). We would have to put in park and re-start it (dangerous on the highway). Car had 280 miles on it and was still o n the same tank of gas the dealer put in. Bought it in to the service dept today (in Fairlawn, McBride Ave). They said the engine codes revealed a misfire, they reset and sent me on my way - exact language was the car is perfect and we should not have any more issues. 2 hours later it stalls AGAIN! Went back to service dept. Now they are SORRY for the poor work they did in the AM and want to keep the car INDEFINITELY to try to figure this out. I think it's because I called Audi Customer Care and opened a case. They got wind of this. The car is 10 days old..just 280 miles !!

Is this car a LEMON? Are Audi's in general poor with initial quality?
Old 11-23-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Are you sure? Stop start is enabled by default. You have to hit the button to turn it off each time you start the car.

With that said, I had an A3 sold a year or so ago that stalled - I picked it up for the client, took it back here, and the shop revealed it was a faulty vacuum line. Replaced and all was right. If there is a mechanical issue I’d lean in this direction. With the right tools (smoke machine) very easy to spot

Last edited by SCarGuy; 11-23-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

No Audis are not "poor with initial quality".If you have decent dealer they should be able to track this problem quickly and get you back on the road for a long ride.I suspect that it's an electrical connector issue.Hope it works out OK.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, we turn OFF the auto stop/start each time we start the car. It stalls WHILE DRIVING. Very dangerous and we cant get the dealer or service people to acknowledge this is a SAFETY issue. Very disappointed in AudI. I thought they were supposed to be one of the safest cars on the road.
The mechanics at JACK DANIELS AUDI OF PARAMUS don't seem to know what they are doing. How do I trust what they tell me or trust the car going forward?
Old 11-24-2019, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by icoskun17
Yes, we turn OFF the auto stop/start each time we start the car. It stalls WHILE DRIVING. Very dangerous and we cant get the dealer or service people to acknowledge this is a SAFETY issue. Very disappointed in AudI. I thought they were supposed to be one of the safest cars on the road.
The mechanics at JACK DANIELS AUDI OF PARAMUS don't seem to know what they are doing. How do I trust what they tell me or trust the car going forward?
I’d enlist the help of the manager of the store or simply use a different dealer. No shortage in the area. Definitely unfortunate, but I’m sure you’ll find a simple solution to it
Old 11-26-2019, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

With an attitude like this, no wonder people constantly disappoint you. You're calling your car a lemon when you brought it back the same day for a problem that had no prior attempt at diagnosis? Audi has an extremely sophisticated diagnostics system in the car, they will definitely find the issue and send you on your way. Sucks they didn't catch it the first time but stuff like this is typically fixed quickly now that they know the problem resulted in a come-back. How about a little patience and eating a Snickers?
The following 2 users liked this post by 82DMC12:
LeicaNut (11-28-2019), SaffsDad (04-12-2021)
Old 11-27-2019, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Read through the link I added below. Another owner has gone through the process of diagnosis and was offered another car. Be nice and patient and things will work out.
Stalling
Old 11-27-2019, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

They kept the Q3 for 4 days and said they found sporadoc misfires on all cylinders. Agoin reminding everyone this is a NEW car, had less then 300 miles when it started to stall. They hjad to call in Audi Corporate because they had no clue how to fix it. All camshaft adjuster vales and both oil spool valves were replaced. Oil system was flushed. Again, this is a NEW car. Very poor quality control from Audi....cant imagine anyone disagreeing with that.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did that address your issue successfully?
Old 12-04-2019, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

They kept the Q3 for 4 days and said they found sporadoc misfires on all cylinders. Agoin reminding everyone this is a NEW car, had less then 300 miles when it started to stall. They hjad to call in Audi Corporate because they had no clue how to fix it. All camshaft adjuster vales and both oil spool valves were replaced. Oil system was flushed. Again, this is a NEW car. Very poor quality control from Audi....cant imagine anyone disagreeing with that.
I have read your posts and i usually do not respond as most people vent, but I beg to disagree. You are labeling an entire company on a new model with engine/transmission in the first model year. First year adopters in any vehicle have to be patient so that a proper diagnosis is made. I've had every marquis group vehicle and all vehicles with sophisticated diagnostics have had problems in their first model year Try to be patient., if it is indeed a lemon, then Audi will replace the vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2020 Audi Q3 Stalls While Driving (Lemon ??)