Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Downsizing from Q5

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Downsizing from Q5

I’m considering downsizing from 21 Q5 PP to a 24 Q3. I like the Q5 (quiet cruiser with some pep,) but the petite wife finds the Q5 to be difficult to maneuver & climb in and out of. From what I can tell, the Q3 PP w/tech pkg has most of the features we like in the Q5. The MMI screen is in a different position but that doesn’t bother me. The Q5 automatically goes into Park when the engine is turned off but the Q3 must be put into Park manually – also not a deal breaker, just something I’ll have to get used to. Another apparently missing feature in the Q3 is Traffic Jam Assist – I’d really miss that. I noticed some additional engine noise during the test drive, but that’s not unexpected. Wireless charging pad is under climate controls instead of under the center armrest (an improvement IMO.) Homelink is on the rearview mirror instead of being accessed via the MMI screen. Otherwise, the Q3 seems like a mini Q5 with less HP, rear leg room & trunk space.

Are there any other significant differences between them I should consider or any reason to stay away from the Q3?
Old 05-16-2024, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 205 Likes on 144 Posts

We own both. A 2021 SQ5 and a 2023 Q3. They are both great cars and I like to drive both of them. I would say you hit on many of the differences and for me, being able to use regular gas vs premium is a nice benefit. The Q3 is an entry level Audi but a great little runabout especially for getting around in tighter spaces, parking garages etc. you can’t get a heated steering wheel in the US at least on the Q3 and no ventilated seats.
I don’t ever shut my car off in drive so the shift lever moving to park is a non issue.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Thinking about doing the same

Originally Posted by gms4849
I’m considering downsizing from 21 Q5 PP to a 24 Q3. I like the Q5 (quiet cruiser with some pep,) but the petite wife finds the Q5 to be difficult to maneuver & climb in and out of. From what I can tell, the Q3 PP w/tech pkg has most of the features we like in the Q5. The MMI screen is in a different position but that doesn’t bother me. The Q5 automatically goes into Park when the engine is turned off but the Q3 must be put into Park manually – also not a deal breaker, just something I’ll have to get used to. Another apparently missing feature in the Q3 is Traffic Jam Assist – I’d really miss that. I noticed some additional engine noise during the test drive, but that’s not unexpected. Wireless charging pad is under climate controls instead of under the center armrest (an improvement IMO.) Homelink is on the rearview mirror instead of being accessed via the MMI screen. Otherwise, the Q3 seems like a mini Q5 with less HP, rear leg room & trunk space.

Are there any other significant differences between them I should consider or any reason to stay away from the Q3?
Since I am not the best driver, especially when parking and driving through tight spaces, I am also thinking about “downsizing”to a Q3 when the lease on my Q5e plugin. Since the 2025 edition is planned to offer a plug-in hybrid similar to my current vehicle, I will be strongly considering unless I go with the Q4 EV as I am still facing charging issues. Although, not a huge difference in size, I found the Q3 more maneuverable when I was giving a loaner during a recent service appointment,
Old 05-16-2024, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Some mechanical differences: the Q3’s transverse mounted engine vs. the Q5’s longitudinally mounted engine; the Q3’s front strut suspension vs. the Q5’s five-link front suspension; the 7-speed dual-clutch Q5 transmission compared to the Q3’s 8-speed torque converter automatic.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input. I have decided to go for it as long as I can find a Q3 in the right color (Chronos Gray) with tech pkg. The local dealer is trying to make a trade for one in another state. If that doesn't work out, he has one in the pipeline that's due to arrive in July. I can wait if necessary. Also looked at Volvo XC40 & BMW X1 but the Q3 was a better deal with a $2500 rebate. Also, wife found the Q3 to be easier to get in & out of and she doesn't have a large learning curve since the MMI & other controls are pretty much the same as our Q5.
Old 05-17-2024, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 205 Likes on 144 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input. I have decided to go for it as long as I can find a Q3 in the right color (Chronos Gray) with tech pkg. The local dealer is trying to make a trade for one in another state. If that doesn't work out, he has one in the pipeline that's due to arrive in July. I can wait if necessary. Also looked at Volvo XC40 & BMW X1 but the Q3 was a better deal with a $2500 rebate. Also, wife found the Q3 to be easier to get in & out of and she doesn't have a large learning curve since the MMI & other controls are pretty much the same as our Q5.
great news. That’s the same color my wife got and it looks great.
we also cross shopped the XC40 and found the same thing with pricing. Additionally, the auto start stop in the Volvo was so aggressive (stopping and restarting way too often) that the wife was not at all interested
Old 05-22-2024, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I downsized from a SQ5 to a Q3 45
Its the wife’s car and I enjoy driving the Q3 over the SQ5.
Its slightly smaller and with the bigger 4 and impressive for a 4 turbo.
can run regular or hi test which gives and a boost to performance.
Old 05-24-2024, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Go for it, she'll like it.

I bought a Chronos Grey Q3 in 2020, and am still enjoying it. I work from home, so I don't even have 15k miles on it. My only mechanical issue so far has been creaking bushings on bumpy roads during cold weather, which Audi Houston fixed (mostly). For me, the Q3 is plenty peppy, and I like the tech. I love that the decent size display is in-dash, instead of this awkward third-party look of a top-of-dash display. I don't care for the lane-assist feature and have that turned off permanently (I hate it when a car thinks it needs to correct me). To me, the best feature of the car is the 360-degree camera view. I almost traded it in towards a great deal on an electric Q4 in 2023, but the lack of 360-degree cameras (due to COVID supply-chain shortages) was a dealbreaker for me. My wife wants to take over my Q3 when I'm ready for something else (probably Macan S).