Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Loud cold start 2019 Q3

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted to also mention that I also noticed the engine makes lots of loud intermittent loud metallic type noises, sounds like it occasionally misfires, and nearly dies out at times when the engine is “cold” started after sitting for several hours.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorsantana
1 day into the new Q3 and noticed that during cold starts the engine is loud, like...a lot! Sounds like a blender with screws in the vase lol, after 1 min all the noise goes away.

Reminds me of the 2009 S40, cold starts sound it similar.

Mine does the same thing it’s so loud!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Osifervic (09-25-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Annoyed

Annoyed. Just purchased a brand new Q3 and it so loud every time i start it up.... pathetic
Osifervic (09-25-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kristeng
Annoyed. Just purchased a brand new Q3 and it so loud every time i start it up.... pathetic

The loud startup sound is unacceptable for a brand new “luxury” vehicle. Mine stickered for over $45,000.

It’s embarrassing to startup my Q3 at work after it’s been sitting all day. I wait till all my coworkers leave the area with their cars before starting mine up. My 2019 Q3 sounds like a beater vehicle from the 70’s or 80’s.
kristeng (09-26-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Osifervic
The loud startup sound is unacceptable for a brand new “luxury” vehicle. Mine stickered for over $45,000.

It’s embarrassing to startup my Q3 at work after it’s been sitting all day. I wait till all my coworkers leave the area with their cars before starting mine up. My 2019 Q3 sounds like a beater vehicle from the 70’s or 80’s.

OMG SAME! I literally had a co worker come outside and say “you need to get your new car looked at its making a loud rattle noise!” SO EMBARASSING!!!!!
Osifervic (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an appointment next Monday with my selling dealer to see if anything can be done. I'm surprised that Audi would find this acceptable. It's very annoying and quite frankly embarrassing to cold start the car. I can only assume as the weather gets colder the metallic chatter may become louder and last longer as the car warms up.
The following 2 users liked this post by brightonkenrick:
kristeng (09-26-2019), Osifervic (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by brightonkenrick
I have an appointment next Monday with my selling dealer to see if anything can be done. I'm surprised that Audi would find this acceptable. It's very annoying and quite frankly embarrassing to cold start the car. I can only assume as the weather gets colder the metallic chatter may become louder and last longer as the car warms up.

I have taken my car in 3 times and it’s apparently normal. The service department literally told me I have to just deal with. Ofcourse the sales team are trying to put me in a Q5 bc it’s a “different”!engine but not wanting to work with me on my trade and make me pay full sticker price for Q5. This is my first Audi and I will NOT get another one. I am very disappointed and feel upset. This car was suppose to be luxury and it’s not.
Osifervic (09-24-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The noise concerned my that there was something wrong, as I just wanted to know what the actual reason was, not that it was loud.
So from reading more on the subject:

The noise is normal for a VW, Audi 2.0T engine to sound like a diesel on a cold start for 30 seconds. The 1.8T and 2.0T have had this noise for years.

The ECU startup procedure is mapped to set the idle higher, which dumps in more fuel, (direct injection is louder as well) which creates a rich condition.
What this does is that it generates more heat to increase the temperature of the exhaust more quickly, heating up the cold oxygen sensors and catalytic converters for better cold start emissions.
Once the system detects they are up to temp, the idle decreases and the O2's are used to calculate the fuel mixture more efficiently.
All cars today use this technology, it's just that these engines are a little louder.

I only notice the noise it if I am outside the car, as my music begins to play as soon as I start the engine.

Hope this helps and that others will know that the noise is normal and that their service departments are not just turning you away for no reason.

BTW: Lovin' the new Q3.
Osifervic (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LX302
The noise concerned my that there was something wrong, as I just wanted to know what the actual reason was, not that it was loud.
So from reading more on the subject:

The noise is normal for a VW, Audi 2.0T engine to sound like a diesel on a cold start for 30 seconds. The 1.8T and 2.0T have had this noise for years.

The ECU startup procedure is mapped to set the idle higher, which dumps in more fuel, (direct injection is louder as well) which creates a rich condition.
What this does is that it generates more heat to increase the temperature of the exhaust more quickly, heating up the cold oxygen sensors and catalytic converters for better cold start emissions.
Once the system detects they are up to temp, the idle decreases and the O2's are used to calculate the fuel mixture more efficiently.
All cars today use this technology, it's just that these engines are a little louder.

I only notice the noise it if I am outside the car, as my music begins to play as soon as I start the engine.

Hope this helps and that others will know that the noise is normal and that their service departments are not just turning you away for no reason.

BTW: Lovin' the new Q3.
————————————————————————

Thanks for the detailed explanation regarding the cause of the annoying loud engine startup noise in the Q3.

It appears that in order to cut production costs of the Q3 “luxury” crossover, Audi decided to put a cheap, detuned, and noisy 2.0t Volkswagen motor under the hood, instead of using the superior version of the 2.0t that’s in other Audi models .

I wish they would’ve chosen to put the same 2.0t engine version as they have in the A4 and Q5. That version of the 2.0t engine is noticeably more powerful and also is very quiet at cold startup.

I also like the quick shifting 7 speed dual clutch transmission that’s in the A4 and Q5 too.

I personally like the 7 speed dual clutch much better than the cheaper , frequently sluggish, and rough (especially 1st to 2nd gear) shifting 8 speed Tiptronic automatic Audi decided to use on the U.S. version of the 2019 Q3.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Everything that LX302 make sense. My only question is why this 2.0T liter makes this type of noise and not other models in VW/Audi line up. 2017 Golf R never made that noise at cold start and my current 2016 Tiguan does not make the noise. Other 2.0T engines in Audi’s line including the A4, A5, and Q5, all don’t have the cold start noise. I’m sure it’s fine. I’m speaking with my dealer next week for them to hopefully clarify.
Osifervic (09-25-2019)

Quick Reply: Loud cold start 2019 Q3