Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Navigation reporting wrong physical location

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navigation reporting wrong physical location

Last night my 2016 Q3 started reporting my location incorrectly on the MMI Navigation Plus map. It has always been quite accurate, but is now showing that I am many miles away from my actual location. The issue has persisted on my drive to work this morning, so powering off the car and turning it back on did not fix it.

I have tried rebooting MMI by holding down TONE, the control ****, and the upper-right control button but this has not corrected the issue. Audi's live chat support recommended taking the vehicle in for service to get it corrected, but this is not super convenient right now.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced an issue like this and has any suggestions for attempting a fix prior to taking it in for service. Is there some way to check the GPS antenna's physical connection to the Q3 (cable?) or is there anything else that I can try myself?

Sirius satellite radio works just fine, but I'm not confident that they share the same GPS antenna.

Thanks, in advance, for the help! I would like to exhaust all of my user-serviceable options myself before taking her in!
Old 09-29-2016, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Sirius and the nav do use the same shark fin roof antenna.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

I've had a similar but not exactly the same issue before. Similar in a way that it showed me being slightly off, for example instead of showing me being on the highway it would show me being on a nearby parallel road. Happened twice, second time I took a picture and sent it to the dealer. It turned out to be a hardware issue with the navigation unit and they replaced the whole nav unit.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Sirius and the nav do use the same shark fin roof antenna.
Good to know. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2016, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
I've had a similar but not exactly the same issue before. Similar in a way that it showed me being slightly off, for example instead of showing me being on the highway it would show me being on a nearby parallel road. Happened twice, second time I took a picture and sent it to the dealer. It turned out to be a hardware issue with the navigation unit and they replaced the whole nav unit.
My GPS issue actually wound up going away on its own about a week ago. The only thing that I had done since my initial post was wound up using my second fob to unlock and start the car. I did this unintentionally, but noticed that the GPS started working immediately when using that fob.

I can't imagine that the issue being corrected actually has anything to do with the fobs, but the GPS is now working perfectly with both fobs. Awesome!
The following users liked this post:
huskyz (12-28-2020)
Old 01-02-2017, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hi Im New but just posted in A6 forum a similar issue - Have a read

Audi fin Aerial Antenna not working wrong location A3 A4 A5 A6 A7

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...a-fix-2911942/
Old 01-04-2017, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Lanphes
My GPS issue actually wound up going away on its own about a week ago. The only thing that I had done since my initial post was wound up using my second fob to unlock and start the car. I did this unintentionally, but noticed that the GPS started working immediately when using that fob.

I can't imagine that the issue being corrected actually has anything to do with the fobs, but the GPS is now working perfectly with both fobs. Awesome!
My issue originally went away and then came back.
huskyz (12-28-2020)
Old 03-21-2018, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi!

I had exactly same problem, with my q3 from 2013., Fortunately it's managed me to solve this. Actually it's pretty simple, below I can guide you how to get the exact location again. Go to navigation, then tap in to settings, now click on "insert location" which is in the bottom. Then you just enter your currently location, and everything should be alright again. Hopes this guide finds you well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nicholai Rolmar Johansson:
Hayley Wiggins (04-28-2021), huskyz (12-28-2020)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicholai Rolmar Johansson
Hi!

I had exactly same problem, with my q3 from 2013., Fortunately it's managed me to solve this. Actually it's pretty simple, below I can guide you how to get the exact location again. Go to navigation, then tap in to settings, now click on "insert location" which is in the bottom. Then you just enter your currently location, and everything should be alright again. Hopes this guide finds you well.
That seems like a curious solution to what ought to be a maintenance-free absolute-position system, but perhaps Audi has some quirks. When this happened to me on my Lexus IS350, the service folks forgot to reconnect the GPS antenna when they were messing around in the dash and the car tried to use the same tech that they use in a pkg deck when there’s no GPS. As I drove to the dealer, the distance between my real location and the nav system grew by miles and miles.
Hayley Wiggins (04-28-2021)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rccoleman

That seems like a curious solution to what ought to be a maintenance-free absolute-position system, but perhaps Audi has some quirks. When this happened to me on my Lexus IS350, the service folks forgot to reconnect the GPS antenna when they were messing around in the dash and the car tried to use the same tech that they use in a pkg deck when there’s no GPS. As I drove to the dealer, the distance between my real location and the nav system grew by miles and miles.
Basically the issue happened after battery replacement at the workshop, and they told me most likely is what due a damaged antenna which was a case. Hence my car is pretty new, I didn't believe this reason. I was convinced the reason has something to do with the battery replacement. So I tried to figure out, how to "calculate" the navigation. At first i entered a adress near my current location, afterwards the nav showed a more exact position but still some few miles away as you mentioned. Then I drived to a gas station, and did the same procedure - inserted address, which was success.

Quick Reply: Navigation reporting wrong physical location