Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Q3 Transmission Shift Quirks

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSB

Which TSB are you referring too for this issue?
Old 08-12-2022, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Reviving this thread somewhat! Having the exact same issues mentioned in this thread (2021 Audi Q3 S-Line). Car is currently at the dealer and they are saying this is normal behavior. However, I am a firm believer this is not normal (no new car should abruptly shift like this especially in higher gears when coming off the throttle). I test drove the car with the Foreman and he was able to feel what we are all describing. The Foreman advised that he would test drive another Q3 and did, then confirmed it shifted the exact same way.

Has anyone received any other responses other than “this is normal?”
Old 08-15-2022, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat. My 2022 Q3 S-Line Premium Plus has horrible shift behaviors. Makes weird shifts and feels like a car with a bad transmission or engine mount at times. Makes harsh engagements between 6 to 7th gear and 7th to 8th to the point you can feel it throughout the cabin. Also when slowing down for a stop, the car will sometimes downshift to aggressively to get to a lower gear causing my body to be slightly pushed forward out of my seat. Then at a complete stop, if I lift my foot off
the brake, the car will surge forward at times. All these issues are weird and don't always happen. Some days the car shifts smooth as can be and others not so much.
Audi told me the same thing that it was operating normal. I have discovered it doesn't act so erratic in Dynamic mode, Comfort mode is the worst and Auto is hit or miss with acting up. Some of this tells me the transmission tuning for this car sucks.
The following users liked this post:
elraulo (08-24-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Road1
I'm in the same boat. My 2022 Q3 S-Line Premium Plus has horrible shift behaviors. Makes weird shifts and feels like a car with a bad transmission or engine mount at times. Makes harsh engagements between 6 to 7th gear and 7th to 8th to the point you can feel it throughout the cabin. Also when slowing down for a stop, the car will sometimes downshift to aggressively to get to a lower gear causing my body to be slightly pushed forward out of my seat. Then at a complete stop, if I lift my foot off
the brake, the car will surge forward at times. All these issues are weird and don't always happen. Some days the car shifts smooth as can be and others not so much.
Audi told me the same thing that it was operating normal. I have discovered it doesn't act so erratic in Dynamic mode, Comfort mode is the worst and Auto is hit or miss with acting up. Some of this tells me the transmission tuning for this car sucks.
This can’t be normal if not everyone has this problem. I will say, based on the research I have done it seems more common with the 2021/2022 Q3 models, whereas the 2020 and 2019’s don’t seem to be as common. I am wondering if it has something to do with COVID (IE. the workers 1/2 assing when assembling the car in the factory).

Have you complained to Audi of America? I called them last week and made a formal complaint and am waiting to hear back.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FinTech88
This can’t be normal if not everyone has this problem. I will say, based on the research I have done it seems more common with the 2021/2022 Q3 models, whereas the 2020 and 2019’s don’t seem to be as common. I am wondering if it has something to do with COVID (IE. the workers 1/2 assing when assembling the car in the factory).

Have you complained to Audi of America? I called them last week and made a formal complaint and am waiting to hear back.
My 2020 (purchased in 2019 pre-COVID) behaves exactly as @Road1 described. Each of those quirks are present on mine and I’ve had the car for nearly 3 years. It really bothers me but haven’t mentioning it to the dealer since many of us seem to have the same behavior - it’s totally unrefined but “normal” for this model. This thread started in 2019 so I’m inclined to think there’s no fix and the trans is just the way it is.
rez (08-17-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I have spoke to Audi and filed a complaint. It's been three weeks and still nothing. I'm also looking at possibly trading in my Q3 for a Q5.
because I'm sick of this transmission which really hurts the driving experience of this car. I had a loaner Q5 for a few days and the dual clutch
is so smooth. That's the trans that should be in the Q3 instead of this horrible 8 speed. I also test drove another 2022 Q3 recently and it behaved
the same way. I think the 8 speed needs it's software redone and tweaked to perform better.
rez (08-24-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by John1
My 2020 (purchased in 2019 pre-COVID) behaves exactly as @Road1 described. Each of those quirks are present on mine and I’ve had the car for nearly 3 years. It really bothers me but haven’t mentioning it to the dealer since many of us seem to have the same behavior - it’s totally unrefined but “normal” for this model. This thread started in 2019 so I’m inclined to think there’s no fix and the trans is just the way it is.
Thanks for the additional insight. How many miles do you have on your car today? Just trying to get an idea in hopes that the transmission doesn’t “blow up” later on during ownership, most likely after the factory warranty runs out (IE. clutch pack failure, slipping etc).

Originally Posted by Road1
Yes, I have spoke to Audi and filed a complaint. It's been three weeks and still nothing. I'm also looking at possibly trading in my Q3 for a Q5.
because I'm sick of this transmission which really hurts the driving experience of this car. I had a loaner Q5 for a few days and the dual clutch
is so smooth. That's the trans that should be in the Q3 instead of this horrible 8 speed. I also test drove another 2022 Q3 recently and it behaved
the same way. I think the 8 speed needs it's software redone and tweaked to perform better.
Same, except I have been going back and forth with AOA and have escalated my complaints. As for the Q5, I too had a new one recently as a loaner and noticed the 7 speed transmission shifting being much smoother. However, I noticed a similar jerkiness when coming to a stop which is the same as the Q3. I am hoping that if they receive enough complaints, they issue a recall and provide an updated TCU reflash to address the shifting. If all years that fall within the current body have this similar quirk, then it most likely has to do with the software, rather than the actual transmission itself.

Let us know how you make out with AOA, if you ever hear back.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the additional insight. How many miles do you have on your car today? Just trying to get an idea in hopes that the transmission doesn’t “blow up” later on during ownership, most likely after the factory warranty runs out (IE. clutch pack failure, slipping etc).
Not a ton - about 35k miles.

BTW there are at least two other threads where this same issue has been discussed for years. Wondering if a Mod can combine.

Last edited by John1; 08-16-2022 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Not a ton - about 35k miles.

BTW there are at least two other threads where this same issue has been discussed for years. Wondering if a Mod can combine.
Ok! I have about 15K miles now. Yes, I posted in those threads as well and agree, hopefully a Mod can combine them.
Old 08-17-2022, 10:14 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

exactly! +1

Quick Reply: Q3 Transmission Shift Quirks