Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Q3 vs. Q5...Technology vs. engine smoothness?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q3 vs. Q5...Technology vs. engine smoothness?

I'm contemplating a q3 vs a q5. My issue is I really like the styling, smaller size, and technology advances in the Q3. In particular, the wireless apple play, touchscreen and the ability to get lane assist in the convenience pkg vs. buying a prestige model in the q5. I also like the configuration of the interior - the cubby hole/phone charger vs. the touch pad in the q5.

The main issue I have with the Q3 is the smoothness of the engine, the slightly jerky/delayed shifting when you start from a red light....Now I may have punched it a bit to see the acceleration so am wondering how you all are feeling about the ride/engine noise/shifting/pickup on the Q3.

I have found that if you want to find the negatives in anything you can find plenty of posts on the internet but not a lot of positive or real life comments on things people don't really have an issue with. So, that all said, are you happy with your Q3? Wish you had bought the smoother riding Q5? The technology is nice but not necessary???

Old 03-06-2020, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Carole
The main issue I have with the Q3 is the smoothness of the engine, the slightly jerky/delayed shifting when you start from a red light....Now I may have punched it a bit to see the acceleration so am wondering how you all are feeling about the ride/engine noise/shifting/pickup on the Q3.
Yes, it transmission shifting, turbo lag, the auto start/stop and other functions all working together give a slight hesitation at times. After driving a few weeks, you "learn" how to drive the vehicle.
But once you get the car moving it accelerates just fine. I love the tech and the smoothness of the ride in such a small package.
Of the course the Q5 will be somewhat better handling for comfort due to the longer wheelbase, maybe quieter and more amenities, like a memory seat, but of course it is much more expensive.
It all comes down to what you want.
You can't go wrong either way. Though some will say otherwise.
Also the latest Gen Q3 has it's issues, with the Auto Start/Stop and the leaky pano roof in some models, but it's not a huge number. Check the threads below.
But that is what new car warranties are for.
I am happy with my decision and plan on keeping the vehicle for many years.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carole, this was also me back in Sept of 2019, I know exactly where you're coming from.
I had taken a 2019 Q5 on a weekend highway trip and loved the ride, comfort, passing ability, fuel economy etc. When I returned home we went to the dealership to look at Q5's to purchase, but my personal hold backs were the outdated tech and also that the rear tailgate exterior shape reminds me of an MKX tailgate (which for me has always carried the stigma of a vehicle geared to an older demographic). When the salesman mentioned that Q5's were scheduled for complete redesign in 2021 it killed any potential of me purchasing a 2020 Q5, I know that once the 2021's came out I would've forever regretted my purchase of a '20. At this particular time they had no Q3's on the lot at all. After leaving the dealership we went and test drove suv's from LR, BMW, Jag and MB and I just didn't love anything I drove. Then I happened across a video of the redesigned Q3 online. I loved the tech updates, the updated exterior body lines, the size etc. So site unseen (and undriven) I ordered one in Sept 2019 and accepted delivery this January. I have been driving it for 2 months now. Mine is a Technik (Cdn version of Prestige), S-line, black optics, with all available options and 20" wheels. Cost-wise I could have purchased a lesser equipped, lower trim level Q5 for roughly the same price.
Here are my thoughts so far: 1) I don't regret my purchase, but I am glad I opted to do a custom order and built it with exactly what I wanted; I find the ones that I see of different trim levels and smaller wheels look like a totally different vehicle. 2) I do wish the same engine/transmission 'smoothness' of the Q5 was there, but the Q3 is not terrible by any means. 3) I miss memory seats. 4) The fuel economy is surprisingly not good like the Q5 was during my highway trip last fall, my Q3 is not great on fuel. 5) I feel they could've done a better job with the interior console in reference to everything residing below the large center touch screen. I am coming from a Range Rover Sport previous to my Q3 and love the look and feel of large consoles with a substantial size shifter and really nice lay out. I think the dials, buttons, shifter, phone box and cup holder area in the new Q3 leave room for improvement. The Q5 I took for the weekend had that electronic shifter that felt nice and substantial, too bad they weren't more similar in style/shape. 6) I wish there was an option to turn off the auto start/stop and leave it off rather than have it come back on every time the vehicle is started. 7) If you have looked at other comparable brands you'll find that you can equip these with a lot of great features for much less $$ in comaprison. 7) The larger virtual cockpit with the google satellite/streetview is a must, it is one of my favorite features.
I think that's about it for now, good luck!!

Last edited by TracyC; 03-09-2020 at 12:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ray Davis (04-12-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carole
I'm contemplating a q3 vs a q5. My issue is I really like the styling, smaller size, and technology advances in the Q3. In particular, the wireless apple play, touchscreen and the ability to get lane assist in the convenience pkg vs. buying a prestige model in the q5. I also like the configuration of the interior - the cubby hole/phone charger vs. the touch pad in the q5.

I have found that if you want to find the negatives in anything you can find plenty of posts on the internet but not a lot of positive or real life comments on things people don't really have an issue with. So, that all said, are you happy with your Q3? Wish you had bought the smoother riding Q5? The technology is nice but not necessary???
I test drove a Q5 over a year ago but was told that a redesigned Q3 would be coming out soon so I elected to wait for the Q3 to see what it was like. And while I was waiting I was able to read/watch reviews. Well, it didn’t come out soon but I waited and I’m glad I did. Like you I liked the size and appearance and especially loved the MMI/Virtual Cockpit. That’s what sold me! While the Q5 has some advantages it also has disadvantages and I’m glad I bought the Q3. I love it!
Old 03-07-2020, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

We have one of each. IF the Q3 had better sound proofing, a dual clutch transmission, and seat memory, I would prefer the little guy with its new tech over the Q5. As it is I prefer the quiet smoothness of the Q5. The roughly $8,000 price difference shows in some of the other features, too. My wife is used to and prefers a smaller car, so we are happy to have both.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I will give you two perspectives. I have an 2019 A5 Sportback Prestige. We purchased a 2019 Q3 Prestige in October for my wife.
We got the Q3 instead of the Q5 mainly because my wife preferred the Q3, and the price difference to the Q5 (around $8,000 less). I would have preferred the Q5.

She liked the touch infotainment, I prefer the non-touch.
She liked the smaller size, I prefer the larger Q5 (although her stand up bass and cello fit in the Q3, which would have been a deal breaker).
She doesn't mind the transmission, I put it in Dynamic/Sport when I drive it, then it's okay for me.
The lane assist is better in my A5.
The power is pretty good (no problem going over mountains).
The gas mileage is really not that great.
No seat memory is annoying.

We got the 19" wheels to get the All Season tires instead of the 20" summer tires (we are in Colorado).
The auto start/stop annoyed us both, so I permanently disabled it using OBDEleven (just as I had on my A5).
Old 03-09-2020, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

May I add another choice ? What about a Mazda CX 5 Signature vs Q3 and Q5 ?
I actually have a 2018 Q5, my third Q5, and I hesitate between those three. It will be 2021 model year. Glad to know that the Q5 will be upgraded.

Thanks !
Old 03-12-2020, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I noticed no one mentioned the Q5's recommendation of Premium fuel vs the Q3's recommendation for Regular grade. Where I live the cost difference is significant, so I would factor that in my decision. From experience, do any of you have comments as to whether the Q3 runs well on Regular?
Old 03-13-2020, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I use 87 Octane fuel in my Q3, and have put in 89 and 93 in a few tankfuls and have not noticed any appreciative differences worth using the higher octane
Old 03-13-2020, 04:39 AM
LIY
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LX302
I use 87 Octane fuel in my Q3, and have put in 89 and 93 in a few tankfuls and have not noticed any appreciative differences worth using the higher octane
Agree! I bounce back and forth between 87 and 89 octane and detect no difference!

Quick Reply: Q3 vs. Q5...Technology vs. engine smoothness?