Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Recent service visit

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recent service visit

I recently took my car to the dealership for the 35k service, recalls, concerns regarding the keys not being detected, side assist problem, hail damage, and tar removal. He said he would include all my concerns for the tech to check.

The advisor suggested coolant flush, tire rotation, and alignment, which I declined until next visit. He called me several hours later and said the repair guy said there are dents all over the hood, roof, a frame, etc. A paintfree dent repair for the hood alone is $200, or $700 for all. I asked to get a written estimate and if possible a diagram of where the dents are located. He kept trying to convince me to do the repair since the guy is there and I’m in a loaner, but I politely declined. He left a voicemail saying there’s no diagram bc there’s too many dents and it’s all over the car.

I went in to pick up my car after the service dept was closed. He left estimate for coolant flush ($200), tire rotation ($30), wheel alignment ($200), dent repair (hood $400 or whole car $700). The repair went up from $200 (verbal) to $400 (written) for the hood only. Just to be sure I didn’t miss other dents he claim, I looked again and only saw 2 on the hood that I noticed awhile ago already. No where on the service paperwork mentioned customer complaint about keys not being detected, side assist problem, nor the request to clean the tar. Seems like they only want to perform the service that they would get paid for, and ignore the other requests / complaints.

Are the above prices average or expensive? More importantly, is coolant flush, tire rotation and wheel alignment necessary?
Old 09-21-2017, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The coolant flush won't be due for years.

Why are there so many dents on the car?

Does the car need an alignment? Unusual tire wear?

Do you need to use another dealer?
Old 09-21-2017, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
The coolant flush won't be due for years.

Why are there so many dents on the car?

Does the car need an alignment? Unusual tire wear?

Do you need to use another dealer?
At what mileage should the coolant flush be done at? There’s only 2 small hail dents on the hood (that I can see). I’m sure there’s no dent elsewhere that’s why they refuse to include a diagram of where the dents are. I don’t feel like I need an alignment. They also didn’t say there’s unusual tire wear. He suggested the rotation and alignment when I dropped off the car, not after the mechanic took a look at the car, I’m sure they’re just trying to upsell wherever they can regardless if it’s nedded or not.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Coolant wouldn't be done for years....when the water pump is changed out.

Can't comment on the other stuff cuz I can't see it. Based upon what you have shared, I doubt an alignment is needed unless you whacked something REALLY HARD.

I don't know what country you are writing from, but do you have access to other Audi dealers?
Old 09-24-2017, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I would chk w/ my Insurance Agent 1st.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I received an email from the Audi dealer that performed the service recently. It said the technician noted my brakes needed service, coolant flush, and alignment. Nothing in the paperwork I received when I picked up my car mentioned brake required service.

Several months ago when I took my car in for other service, I mentioned that my brake is squeaking, they told me it happens from time to time, and nothing to be concerned. Now they’re telling me it’s time for brake service. Wtf? Although I do sometimes hear the brake squeak a bit, it’s not very bad squeaking noise that I hear on my previous car when it was time for rotor resurfacing or brake replacement.

I called another Audi dealer and asked when they recommended coolant flush and wheel alignment. He said coolant flush is recommended in 3 years or 35k, even though Audi said it’s not needed in their vehicles. When alignment, he doesn’t think it’s needed unless I feel the car pulling to either side, which I don’t.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Ck your owners manual. There should be some type of notice in dash when brakes need to be serviced.