Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

California bounces proposed 3.0 TDI fix...again

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default California bounces proposed 3.0 TDI fix...again

See:

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2016/...html?src=busln

A couple of key sentences:
"VW's and Audi's submissions are incomplete, substantially deficient, and fall far short of meeting the legal requirements to return these vehicles to the claimed certified configuration," CARB said in its letter.

The regulator said it will not have enough data at least until December to make a determination on whether a 3.0-liter fix would work for all of the diesel vehicles. If no fix is possible, the company may have to buy back the vehicles, which could add billions to the cost of its buy-backs.
Here is a link to the CARB letter itself:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/vw_info...ver_letter.pdf

Interesting reading. I excerpted a few sections. They are in different parts of the letter but AW's attachment system combined them for some reason.
  • The first section below says that VW and Audi were told 'confidentially' on February 17 that their filing was a reject. So, for five months Audi has kept that under wraps.
  • Notice the long list of reasons for the bounce, a group of six of which are deemed the most serious that I excerpted into the second paragraph below.
Continues to sound like a lot more than the supposed reflash to me. Same issues still about longevity/reliability, drivability, performance and economy owners have concerns about.

If it helps, I think the Q5 or A6 motor is the Generation 2.2 one in the context of the letter, while the slightly lower power one found in the A8 would be the 2.1. First generation was back at 225HP with earlier Q7's. That makes it a month for data submittal on the Q5 or A6, and Fall for other newer ones.
Attached Thumbnails California bounces proposed 3.0 TDI fix...again-screen-shot-2016-07-13-7.33.59-pm.png   California bounces proposed 3.0 TDI fix...again-screen-shot-2016-07-13-7.34.28-pm.png  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-13-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news
Old 07-13-2016, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just freaking buy them back already
Old 07-14-2016, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

CARB SMH. Another over-reaching gooberment redundant-layer full-employment union agency with too much power.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see why it's necessary to fully document the reasons the platform is failing to enter a new certification phase. Why is it CARB's concern about engine reliability - that should be a shared concern involving Audi and owners.

I agree with you, ELEVENS: some of those reasons are just them throwing their massive weight around.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
See:

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2016/...html?src=busln

A couple of key sentences:
"VW's and Audi's submissions are incomplete, substantially deficient, and fall far short of meeting the legal requirements to return these vehicles to the claimed certified configuration," CARB said in its letter.

The regulator said it will not have enough data at least until December to make a determination on whether a 3.0-liter fix would work for all of the diesel vehicles. If no fix is possible, the company may have to buy back the vehicles, which could add billions to the cost of its buy-backs.
Here is a link to the CARB letter itself:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/vw_info...ver_letter.pdf

Interesting reading. I excerpted a few sections. They are in different parts of the letter but AW's attachment system combined them for some reason.
  • The first section below says that VW and Audi were told 'confidentially' on February 17 that their filing was a reject. So, for five months Audi has kept that under wraps.
  • Notice the long list of reasons for the bounce, a group of six of which are deemed the most serious that I excerpted into the second paragraph below.
Continues to sound like a lot more than the supposed reflash to me. Same issues still about longevity/reliability, drivability, performance and economy owners have concerns about.

If it helps, I think the Q5 or A6 motor is the Generation 2.2 one in the context of the letter, while the slightly lower power one found in the A8 would be the 2.1. First generation was back at 225HP with earlier Q7's. That makes it a month for data submittal on the Q5 or A6, and Fall for other newer ones.
Thanks for posting this. Very discouraging news though and this points to a bigger issue with the culture at VW/Audi. Their hands got caught in the cookie jar but they still continue to hide their secrets that brought them into this in the first place. I have to admit that I thought CARB/EPA would roll over once the 2.0 was pretty much settled. It seems now they will continue to hold VW/Audi feet to the fire for the 3.0 owners. It will be interesting on how all of this plays out and how long it takes.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Transporter208
Thanks for posting this. Very discouraging news though and this points to a bigger issue with the culture at VW/Audi. Their hands got caught in the cookie jar but they still continue to hide their secrets that brought them into this in the first place. I have to admit that I thought CARB/EPA would roll over once the 2.0 was pretty much settled. It seems now they will continue to hold VW/Audi feet to the fire for the 3.0 owners. It will be interesting on how all of this plays out and how long it takes.
Thank you. I for one am grateful that the government is checking this stuff and holding their feet to the fire. I don't want to get a fix, it reduces performance or economy and then my recourse had to be legal. The larger issue is that I just don't think VW gets it as yet.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ppinto1
I don't see why it's necessary to fully document the reasons the platform is failing to enter a new certification phase. Why is it CARB's concern about engine reliability - that should be a shared concern involving Audi and owners.

I agree with you, ELEVENS: some of those reasons are just them throwing their massive weight around.
While I respect both your views, mine are very different.

Many consumer like us relied on VW/Audi/Porsche's representations when we bought our TDIs, and do not have money to burn by trading cars before their useful life at a huge loss.

We only expect a fair fix that addresses the emissions issue, such that performance, reliability, durability and fuel economy are NOT adversely impacted.

A level playing field is fair to everyone, and it is reasonable that government protects consumers. I do appreciate that California is pushing for this, and hope the Feds and CARB hold Audi's feet to the fire for a fair fix for all of us in the US.

VW's behaviors of cheating and then dragging their feet to resolve this matter simply do NOT inspire trust. When coupled with other fiascos they have had such as carbon build up, excessive oil consumption, etc., consumers definitely need help.

VW/Audi are far bigger, more experienced and better resourced and financed for most consumers to fight one on one.

So, yes I am very appreciative that CARB cares.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

A note BTW on CARB (California Air Resources Board) for those not that familiar with emissions rules: There are two basic sets of rules, the federal baseline ones, and then California and any other states that elect to follow California rules. Back when emissions related laws and standards first came out, CA was allowed to set tougher rules because of the 60's observed heavy smog. In a federally authorized change some years ago now, other states were allowed to opt in to CA rules too. Simplified that now means California, the Pacific Northwest, and the Northeast. CARB is the de facto lead agency when you deal with the tighter CA rules. Audi certifies to all 50 states, instead of the old "CA car" for emissions purposes (usually meaning you couldn't get some motor version here) and then everywhere else. The NOx being spewed well above standards is also right at the heart of where the worst of the CA smog is health wise.

Thus CARB is basically relevant to all vehicles involved, since it is 50 state certification, and directly relevant to the other states following CA rules. You do get a somewhat more comprehensive emissions warranty if you are in a CA compliant state as well.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-15-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ppinto1

Clearly you do not own one of the affected vehicles. And if you do, your reply is puzzling to say the least. Thank goodness Carb and the EPA are looking out for our interests. Without them this company would stomp all over us without a second thought.

Last edited by Audible911; 07-15-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: California bounces proposed 3.0 TDI fix...again