Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 12:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Problems with recently purchased Q5 (V6) - Transmission/Shifting, Stalling, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with recently purchased Q5 (V6) - Transmission/Shifting, Stalling, etc.

Hi folks,

So I'm the new owner of 2009 Q5 that I purchased private party (V6 model). approx 17k miles.

In general, the car is great, but I am really frustrated with some bizarre mechanical issues that I've been struggling with. I could really use your guidance.

1. Overall, I feel like I'm fighting the car when driving it. It never seems to be in the right gear. I am experience a lot of "throttle lag" just getting at slow speeds (25-35) around the neighborhood and around town. The delay between pushing down the gas pedal and the car accelerating is really noticeable.

2. Transmission is troubling and is getting increasingly fussy. Twice today, it got stuck in first gear and would shift out of it, when accelerating while turning from a stop light / stopsign. Both times, I felt an audible "thunk" in the engine/transmission right after pressing the accelerator.

3. Stalling on startup. About 1 in 5 startups, less frequently recently, the engine stalls. The idle struggles and then it just quites. If I give it some gas during this phase, it usually comes up to correct idle RPM. I have seen posts of this that other people have had this problem and it's a fuel injector situation.

4. Slow-speed vibration/shimmy in the power steering. This is known issue, there's a TSB for this.

By far and large, the day-to-day driveability issues of (1) and (2) above are really starting to sour the experience with the car.

Are there any known shifting or transmission issues with these cars, the V6 engine in particular?

Thanks everyone. Your guidance for a new owner would be much appreciated.

Mike
Old 12-16-2011, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check with an Audi dealer and see if this was done yet: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2816337
Old 12-16-2011, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like you bought a lemon. The idling problem is most likely the injectors, but the tranny problem can be a number of things. Sometimes the throttle lag is cause by the tranny being in the wrong gear, not down shifing fast enough.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask your dealership about TSB 2026718 - leaking fuel injectors. We had this done on our 2011 3.2 and it has made a world of difference. No more hard starts or stalling at startup. Way better throttle response and more power.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My previous Q5 had a lot of transmission problems. Turns out it had a faulty transmission filter installed at the factory, that had dropped to the bottom of the transmission pan, which in turn, frothed my transmission fluid causing jerky shifting. I learned a lot about Audi in this process, and can say with certainty, make them check for mechanical flaws, such as the one I described above, before letting them mess with your software. If/when they tinker with the software, make sure someone who knows what they're doing does it. Some idiot tried readapting my transmission software some dozen times for only 2nd to 3rd gear shift (where my trouble spot was), before he realized he had to readapt ALL the gears. Then, Scott, their best tech in my opinion, listened to my description of things, and discovered the mechanical flaw. By the time they fixed the mechanical flaw, the software was so screwed up, there was no way for Audi to return it to factory delivered drivability.

I've noticed Audi is quick to tinker with software before looking for a mechanical problem, and this could be their achilles heal. My advice, push for them to check mechanical problems first.