Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is this $4060 SQ5 Warranty Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

When my nephew went to buy his first new car, a stick shift, he asked me to please come with him. And, to show him how to drive it, since I drove stick. OK, so the dealership says pick it up at 4...and at 4 they say "What? Who? No one told us...." so we're there till almost 8. Meanwhile the aftersales guy is trying to sell him the extended warranty. My nephew has no luck with "devices" and decided to buy it anyway, but I couldn't help asking the aftersales guy "So, wait a minute. Are you saying these cars are so unreliable and have such a poor warranty that he has to spend THAT much on an extra one?"

And that's my take on it. If the factory warranty is NG, or the product is so unreliable, that you have to spend serious money on an extended warranty? You should consider another car. Really, four grand ought to cover a major explosion in the car. Of course I did lose a headgasket (for no apparent reason) and slag down most of an engine bay at 110k miles, but it took 30 years to do that. Still way cheaper not to pay another grand a year for insurance against that--if you can get it that long.(G)

By all means shop around, some of the dealers can sell the genuine Audi extended warranty at discounts, heavy discounts. And off the record, they'll all tell you that they often make more on extended warranty sales, than they do on the car itself. Every make, every model.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
When my nephew went to buy his first new car, a stick shift, he asked me to please come with him. And, to show him how to drive it, since I drove stick. OK, so the dealership says pick it up at 4...and at 4 they say "What? Who? No one told us...." so we're there till almost 8. Meanwhile the aftersales guy is trying to sell him the extended warranty. My nephew has no luck with "devices" and decided to buy it anyway, but I couldn't help asking the aftersales guy "So, wait a minute. Are you saying these cars are so unreliable and have such a poor warranty that he has to spend THAT much on an extra one?"

And that's my take on it. If the factory warranty is NG, or the product is so unreliable, that you have to spend serious money on an extended warranty? You should consider another car. Really, four grand ought to cover a major explosion in the car. Of course I did lose a headgasket (for no apparent reason) and slag down most of an engine bay at 110k miles, but it took 30 years to do that. Still way cheaper not to pay another grand a year for insurance against that--if you can get it that long.(G)

By all means shop around, some of the dealers can sell the genuine Audi extended warranty at discounts, heavy discounts. And off the record, they'll all tell you that they often make more on extended warranty sales, than they do on the car itself. Every make, every model.
Ended up with 72 additional months up to 60k miles is 6,666 miles per year at $2100 and shopped around and still get her to knock another 250 off
Old 09-26-2017, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

An extra six years for $2100? Sweet deal. Who and where was that? Audi or indy?
Old 09-27-2017, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
An extra six years for $2100? Sweet deal. Who and where was that? Audi or indy?
Circle Audi in Long Beach,CA.